OMV using a USB drive

• I did a couple of memtests, and all passed, no problems. The USBs are new, so I have tried a whole bunch of different ones. Installing Linux Mint boots done, even from the oldest USB, but OMV won't install or boot on any of them now.

• I wiped the installer USB, then plugged it in as well (so it'd mount as SDA, making my bootable OMV USB sdb).

This worked, but I get to the login prompt and it hasn't identified a network interface for some reason???

It also will not login, it just dropped back to this same login with no error ...so where I was stuck last time I tried installing OMV around Christmas time.

I don't know what else to try now, except maybe shifting USB ports or something...?

• Ok, I read to try logging in as root. That gives me an error when trying to configure network interfsces,:

Failed to execute command, which says something about monit monitor collectd cannot create socket? Connection refused

• I'll be taking images at each point, so that I hopefully don't have to do this all again :S

But so far so good, I'm in the Web GUI, and just setting everything up again from scratch it seems...

Rebooted and everything is fine too. I'm so frustrated I wasted all that time, but really happy and relieved to be able to be able to keep using OMV :)

• So far so good, a few small hiccups (I guess they are learning opportunities), but I have y shares and Plex working again :)

I have made a few backup images of the OS drive, and tested flashing that and it worked fine, and also documented the key steps so I remember what I did :)

Still need to backup my camera and other files that have been building up, and then get my script that backs up to external hard drives working again to make sure it's all backed up in multiple places.

Then I had bought a spare 8TB drive for a parity for SnapRaid, so I'd like to get that working and use my SnapRaid script for scrubbing and syncing.

Tgeb, probably house keeping...I have lots of data all over the place that needs to be organised and de-duped carefully...

And also, the Hauppauge tuner driver didn't load again, so I'll try installing that when I get all that done, and I have spare time.

Thanks for all the advice and motivation to keep persisting, fingers crossed I have a more stable build now

• Hi, I'm completely new to OMV and I'm trying to install it on a 16GB USB drive and use a hard drive as storage. I just want to stream my media from plex. Are the above configurations enough for me?

• Offizieller Beitrag

I would install docker and plex to the storage drive, rather than to /var/lib on the USB stick. Avoid putting docker and plex on the USB stick. Or at least use a high quality USB stick or a small SSD.

The easiest might be to do a test install, and during install simply change the default suggestions shown so that dockers and plex are not installed under /var/lib but on the storage drive. Verify that plex works as it should.

A more advanced way, that I usually do, is to add an extra partition to a fast storage drive and change fstab so that partition is mounted as /var/lib. Or even add an extra SSD just for /var/lib. After that you can use all the default settings. Nice. Just make sure the partition for /var/lib does not fill up.

Please note: OMV is remarkably easy to use and install. But it does require some knowledge and experience and a willingness for some experimenting, DIY and tinkering. Experience from using Linux and especially Debian/Ubuntu in other contexts is a great help. Especially when you add stuff to it, like docker and plex. There is a reason why expensive ready-to-run NAS are being sold. They require even less knowledge, tinkering and work.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!