Once I installed docker (or maybe Portainer), my CPU load keep at around 50%

• Hello everybody,
    This is my first post in the forum.

I installed OMV 5.x last week. Most of those are following Techno Dad Life 's instruction.

On my first installation, I installed CIFS/SAMBA, Plex server, transimssion, ftp and Flash Memory Plugin and no more. The OMV server is behaving good, Plex server worked, however, I noticed that the CPU are all the way hovering at around 50%. I tried Google for days and still didn't find any answer.

So I decided to re-install OMV from scratch. I did it last night. Once I finished the installation I went to Web GUI and noticed that the CPU is idling (normally from 0 to 2%, sometimes to 10%). Since I didn't know which part gone wrong, I kept on going to dashboard to check CPU for every step I made (mounting file system , add share folder, enable SAMBA/CIFS, add SAMBA shares). Still Good.

Still good until I installed docker on OMV-extra page:

I specifed the docker storage to "/sharedfolders/docker", the Web GUI showed an error, saying that /sharedfolders cannot be accessed. Then I tried the default docker storage location with "/var/lib/docker" and docker installed.

Then I installed Portainer with "Install Portainer" button on the OMV-extra page. After that, I noticed the CPU started hovering at around 50% again like my first installation.

As you can see on my screenshot below, I already stopped all services and unmount all data drive but the CPU still running busy with Kworker. Even if I uninstalled omv-extras, the CPU still busy with kworker running. I tried google with keywords like "kworker"; "omv docker problem"; "omv high cpu usage"...etc. Having tried all possible keywords I can imagine and I still didn't find any solution.

• Offizieller Beitrag

The default path for docker storage is not usually a good thing under most situations. When you specified the docker storage to "/sharedfolders/docker", did you first create a shared folder in the GUI called “ docker”? Also, you should not use the relative path but absolute path to your destination: /srv/dev-disk-by-label-DiskName/docker

System Backup Typo alert: Under the Linux section the command should be sudo umount /dev/sda1 NOT sudo unmount /dev/sda1

Backup Data Disk to Backup Disk on Same Machine: In a Scheduled Job:rsync -av --delete /srv/dev-disk-by-uuid-f8814ed9-9a5c-4e1c-8830-426968c20ea3/ /srv/dev-disk-by-uuid-e67439d5-00a3-4942-bd5f-b84ab86aa850/ Don't forget trailing slashes, and BE CAREFUL. (HT: Getting Started with OMV5)

Equipment - Thinkserver TS140, NanoPi M4 (v.1), Odroid XU4 (Using DietPi): PiHole

• Hi what type of computer and kernel are you using?
    Also mayber docker folder should be something outside of /sharefolder

I am using PC:
    MB: Asrock N3050B-ITX with build in Intel® Dual-Core Processor N3050
    RAM: Kingston 8GB DDR3L 1600
    Network card: Winyao NIC card with intel82574L inserted into the PCIe 2.0 slot
    System Drive: SanDisk SSD i100 24GB

Kernel: Linux 5.3.0-0.bpo.2-amd64

Folder path is a problem. But I reverted everthing back. Stopped all services and uninstalled all plugin. CPU usage still reaching 30% to 50%

• The default path for docker storage is not usually a good thing under most situations. When you specified the docker storage to "/sharedfolders/docker", did you first create a shared folder in the GUI called “ docker”? Also, you should not use the relative path but absolute path to your destination: /srv/dev-disk-by-label-DiskName/docker

I think /sharedfolders/docker has mapped the corresponding shared folder /srv/dev-disk-by-label-DiskName/docker. I tried to write a "test.txt" file in /srv/dev-disk-by-label-HGST/docker folder and I also see it in /sharedfolders/docker.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I think /sharedfolders/docker has mapped the corresponding shared folder

With OMV5 create a shared folder for docker i.e. as per @Agricola suggestion /srv/dev-disk-by-label-DiskName/docker that is absolute path, my test OMV5 is shut down but there may be save on that page to save the config change, then install docker, then install portainer. There is a recent thread regarding this on the forum.

The /sharedfolders/ is a bind to the absolute path and it is there purely for use from the CLI, again there a number of threads where /sharedfolders/ should not be used for docker nor container configs.

• May be at the time I installed docker. The newer kernel (Linux 5.3.0-0.bpo.2-amd64) has been auto-updated at the same time. Although I pay high attention to CPU usage on every steps I made, I didn't notice kernel changes. Maybe that was the problem. Now the server has been online for 20 minutes, CPU load is good!

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!