CIFS vs NFS. I can't see the "NFS" folder.

• Hi everyone,
    I'm an OMV new user.

I installed OMV in my VMware workstation. Everything seems to be working fine so far.
    Anyway, I din't get what is the difference between CIFS folders and NFS forders.
    By following a videotutorial I created one user (users group), then I created two shared folders both with admin/user write/read permission and read only for "other".

I enabled NFS (number of servers: 8), then in the "shares" tab I added the second folder as an NFS folder. In the client box I wrote my ip local subnet (192.168.3.0/24) and set write/read permission again.

I also enabled CIFS and added the "CIFS folder" in the shares tab .

As a result, I can see and get access to the "CIFS folder" after logging in, but I can't see any "NFS" folder I created and enabled earlier.
    Could you please help me understand why, and how to fix this problem?
    Thank you

• Offizieller Beitrag

How are you looking for the folders? From where and with what?

Typically you only use NFS between Linux boxes in a LAN. Maybe to macs as well?

CIFS/SMB is used between Linux and windows and possibly also Android and Mac.

To access a NFS share you need to run NFS client software, typically installed as nfs-common on the client Linux systems. Then you have to provide a mount point. Then you have to do a mount. Manually or in fstab. Then you can see the shared files inside the mount point.

I use autofs to mount my NFS shares, not fstab. But typically fstab is used.

There are heaps of tutorials on the internet about mounting NFS shares. It seems you already know how to create them in OMV.

I like NFS because it is fast and simple to use, when you know how. Also it is almost transparent to the user and the operating system. Things that work on ext4 work the same on NFS. Mostly. If you are a Windows user you are likely to not care about NFS.

• Offizieller Beitrag

This link outlines the differences and similarities among SMB, CIFS, and NFS. From what I read NFS is not meant for a mixed platform network. I’m a Mac user and stick with SMB with never a problem. Hope this helps.

System Backup Typo alert: Under the Linux section the command should be sudo umount /dev/sda1 NOT sudo unmount /dev/sda1

Backup Data Disk to Backup Disk on Same Machine: In a Scheduled Job:rsync -av --delete /srv/dev-disk-by-uuid-f8814ed9-9a5c-4e1c-8830-426968c20ea3/ /srv/dev-disk-by-uuid-e67439d5-00a3-4942-bd5f-b84ab86aa850/ Don't forget trailing slashes, and BE CAREFUL. (HT: Getting Started with OMV5)

Equipment - Thinkserver TS140, NanoPi M4 (v.1), Odroid XU4 (Using DietPi): PiHole

• I was looking the NFS folder from Windows 10.
    It seems that it can be done only from linux.
    Ok, I'll stick with the CIFS/SMB-type folders. I'm going to delete the NFS one.
    Thank you very much.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!