Slow transfer speed (max. 5 MB/s) // OMV4 (.iso) / RasPi4 / USB3

• *** Solved: Bad network connection made the difference between 112 MB/s file transfers and 5 MB/s! ***

Hi,

with the minimal setup of a Raspberry Pi 4 with the OMV4 image and an external USB 3.0 HDD, I get very slow transfer speeds.

I have tried and failed clean installation of OMV5 on a current buster image. Then I have found the OMV4 image on reddit and, after much of f***ing around and pure luck, got it to boot and show a web GUI.

Now, I have managed to reformat the drive (6 TB WD external) from NTFS to ext4 and set a shared folder which I can fully access through Windows 10.

I am connected directly to the router via ethernet cable and "ethtool eth0" tells me a speed of 1000 Mb/s. Router is a Fritz!Box 6490.
    The USB ports are recognized as USB 3.0 (5000M).
    "hdparm" also shows values of 150 MB/s for buffered disk reads.

What am I doing wrong?

• Offizieller Beitrag

What am I doing wrong?

Using the OMV 4 image... That is why I deleted it.

Why not post the errors you were getting trying to install OMV 5 on Raspbian Buster Lite with the install script - https://forum.openmediavault.o…-s-i386-32-bit-platforms/?

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Using the OMV 4 image... That is why I deleted it.

Since there are several tutorials out there having seemingly no problems getting it to run that way, and since I failed multiple times trying to install it the "recommended way" (which, if I trust reddit, is due to some arguments over here and the image creator requesting the image to be deleted), I tried the next "best" way and found it to work.

Why not post the errors you were getting trying to install OMV 5 on Raspbian Buster Lite with the install script - https://forum.openmediavault.o…-s-i386-32-bit-platforms/?

Because, firstly, I was pissed, following a guide, that does not work out as expected. I guess the guide and I use the same raspbian buster (timestamps on the raspbian download page were older than the tutorial). Every time I followed the tutorial, it did not work, and I did it over and over for at least 5 times.

If you can analyze and correct the errors and help me out creating a working image with OMV5, that would be great.

I will set up another SD card right away and post the complete procedure step by step inclding all shell scripts for analysis, if that is okay. :)

I am using a SanDisk Ultra 64 GB micro SDXC I class 10. That should work out, shouldn't it?

• Offizieller Beitrag

Since there are several tutorials out there having seemingly no problems getting it to run that way, and since I failed multiple times trying to install it the "recommended way" (which, if I trust reddit, is due to some arguments over here and the image creator requesting the image to be deleted), I tried the next "best" way and found it to work.

I created and maintained RPi images long before the armbian based image was created. I deleted it because it was causing too many problems and armbian doesn't support the RPi. I created the script because I wanted it to work on Armbian, Raspbian, and even Debian Buster installs without having to maintain images (which I don't have time for). I don't know which recommended way you are referring to but I have tested the script probably over 50 times on RPis alone without problems. It amazes me when people have problems with it. As for the image creator asking for images to be deleted, they were GPL'd images. I didn't have to delete them. I deleted them because they are old and wanted to move on to a different process that is easier to support and maintain.

Because, firstly, I was pissed, following a guide, that does not work out as expected. I guess the guide and I use the same raspbian buster (timestamps on the raspbian download page were older than the tutorial). Every time I followed the tutorial, it did not work, and I did it over and over for at least 5 times.

Forgive my irritation but I am very tired of people reporting it doesn't work without any output or details or anything that could ever help. So, while you are pissed it doesn't "work" and keep trying over and over, info about what you are doing could probably help fix your problem in little time.

If you can analyze and correct the errors and help me out creating a working image with OMV5, that would be great.

I will set up another SD card right away and post the complete procedure step by step inclding all shell scripts for analysis, if that is okay

That is what the forum is for. Why not do that after the first failure?

I am using a SanDisk Ultra 64 GB micro SDXC I class 10. That should work out, shouldn't it?

Sure assuming it isn't failing from too many writes or is actually a fake Sandisk card.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

• I am talking about the following script:

Installing OMV on Raspberry's is very easy, thanks to Ryecoaaron for providing a comprehensive installationscript that's executed from a single line.Copy the following line complete (Ctrl+C) and paste it into PuTTY's SSH window, with a right mouse click.Then hit Enter.

wget -O - https://github.com/OpenMediaVa…Script/raw/master/install | sudo bash

It is mentioned in the download area:

The pre-install images have been deprecated in favor of using this guide - Installing OMV5 on Raspberry PI's, Armbian SBC's, & i386 32-bit platforms

By the way, I never said that the script fails. I said that I wasn't able to produce a working solution just by this guide.

Also, forgive me if I assume that booklong text extracts from the shell are not wanted in a forum if there could just be an incompatibility, and also, I have limited time to spend on stuff like this, and wanted a quick and easy solution. You got to admit, that if there are several guides working with the image, and no real (in-depth) explanation of why the image was deleted, an end user has to assume tha image file will be working fine.

I must admit that the SanDisk card was not ordered via Amazon, so I would have to look up it's real origin, but I am very picky about these things and the risk of owning a fake is pretty low. Also, the card has worked fine in the past, containing raspberry OS, but did never spend too much time in use, since I used other cards for that. It is a card of two I have lying around to use. I did never do a full SD card test, though, because it is too time consuming.

I will post the full installation procedure including the whole shell text soon and am looking forward for a hint of what the problem is.

• Offizieller Beitrag

By the way, I never said that the script fails. I said that I wasn't able to produce a working solution just by this guide.

Aren't they the same thing? I mean the goal of the script is to produce a working OMV install with omv-extras and flashmemory pre-installed and a few tweaks.

Also, forgive me if I assume that booklong text extracts from the shell are not wanted in a forum if there could just be an incompatibility,

Attach a txt file then. Personally, I would rather have the output since support is impossible without it.

also, I have limited time to spend on stuff like this, and wanted a quick and easy solution.

The goal of the script was quick and easy for people with limited skill. Since I am not a noob (no idea if you are), I don't always think of weird things noobs do. Hence why the script needs feedback.

You got to admit, that if there are several guides working with the image

Probably by higher skilled users. Noobs typically don't write guides. And from the amount of support time I put into helping with the image, it was not worth keeping.

and no real (in-depth) explanation of why the image was deleted, an end user has to assume tha image file will be working fine.

The people who had the most problems with the image would probably not understand an in-depth explanation nor do I want to write anything long. The fact that Armbian isn't supported on the RPi, Raspbian is supported, and the numerous posts about repo and package problems was enough for me.

I will post the full installation procedure including the whole shell text soon and am looking forward for a hint of what the problem is.

Don't forget to add why it isn't "working".

• Don't forget to add why it isn't "working".

If I knew, "why" it isn't working, I would not have a problem. I can only tell you "what" isn't working, and will do that, aside a detailed step-by-step of my procedure. Just hoping it doesn't magically work this time.

My skill level in linux is pretty low, I guess, though I have set up several raspbians and used them for things like home automation visu server and 3d printer control. To be fair, though, most of those applications are heavily documentet and/or with GUI configuration (which in this case would also be there, but my problem was that it wasn't).

• And of course, this time the GUI shows up. After I think 5 times of the whole procedure that I did exactly as this time. One time, I set the device up and let it reboot overnight, just to find that next morning, there wasn't a GUI.

And now, I tried after waiting for 8 minutes, and voilà, the GUI is there.

Trying the HDD speeds now.

• I cannot activate "SMB/CIFS" due to error:

Code
    {"response":null,"error":{"code":0,"message":"The property 'localmaster' does not exist in the model 'conf.service.smb'.","trace":"OMV\\AssertException: The property 'localmaster' does not exist in the model 'conf.service.smb'. in \/usr\/share\/php\/openmediavault\/config\/configobject.inc:71\nStack trace:\n#0 \/usr\/share\/php\/openmediavault\/config\/configobject.inc(186): OMV\\Config\\ConfigObject->assertExists('localmaster')\n#1 \/usr\/share\/php\/openmediavault\/config\/configobject.inc(271): OMV\\Config\\ConfigObject->set('localmaster', true, true)\n#2 \/usr\/share\/php\/openmediavault\/config\/configobject.inc(233): OMV\\Config\\ConfigObject->setFlatAssoc(Array, true, false)\n#3 \/usr\/share\/openmediavault\/engined\/rpc\/smb.inc(81): OMV\\Config\\ConfigObject->setAssoc(Array)\n#4 [internal function]: Engined\\Rpc\\Smb->setSettings(Array, Array)\n#5 \/usr\/share\/php\/openmediavault\/rpc\/serviceabstract.inc(123): call_user_func_array(Array, Array)\n#6 \/usr\/share\/php\/openmediavault\/rpc\/rpc.inc(86): OMV\\Rpc\\ServiceAbstract->callMethod('setSettings', Array, Array)\n#7 \/usr\/sbin\/omv-engined(537): OMV\\Rpc\\Rpc::call('SMB', 'setSettings', Array, Array, 1)\n#8 {main}"}}

Also, I can't save the settings after changing the hostname:

Code
    {"response":null,"error":{"code":0,"message":"Failed to open file (filename=\/tmp\/bgstatus6gxcRU, mode=r).","trace":"OMV\\Exception: Failed to open file (filename=\/tmp\/bgstatus6gxcRU, mode=r). in \/usr\/share\/php\/openmediavault\/json\/file.inc:78\nStack trace:\n#0 \/usr\/share\/php\/openmediavault\/rpc\/serviceabstract.inc(407): OMV\\Json\\File->open('r')\n#1 \/usr\/share\/openmediavault\/engined\/rpc\/exec.inc(153): OMV\\Rpc\\ServiceAbstract->getBgProcStatus('\/tmp\/bgstatus6g...')\n#2 [internal function]: Engined\\Rpc\\Exec->isRunning(Array, Array)\n#3 \/usr\/share\/php\/openmediavault\/rpc\/serviceabstract.inc(123): call_user_func_array(Array, Array)\n#4 \/usr\/share\/php\/openmediavault\/rpc\/rpc.inc(86): OMV\\Rpc\\ServiceAbstract->callMethod('isRunning', Array, Array)\n#5 \/usr\/sbin\/omv-engined(537): OMV\\Rpc\\Rpc::call('Exec', 'isRunning', Array, Array, 1)\n#6 {main}"}}
    • Offizieller Beitrag

If I knew, "why" it isn't working, I would not have a problem. I can only tell you "what" isn't working, and will do that, aside a detailed step-by-step of my procedure. Just hoping it doesn't magically work this time.

Come on. Yes, I should've used "what".

And of course, this time the GUI shows up. After I think 5 times of the whole procedure that I did exactly as this time. One time, I set the device up and let it reboot overnight, just to find that next morning, there wasn't a GUI.

And now, I tried after waiting for 8 minutes, and voilà, the GUI is there.

If you were doing this Wednesday or early Thursday, there was a change in the latest omv package release that caused the web interface to not be configured (no matter who or how many times you installed). I added a change to the script to accommodate for that.

I cannot activate "SMB/CIFS" due to error:

This is a cache issue. The apt clean button in omv-extras will clear the server side and clearing your browser cache will clear the client side.

Also, I can't save the settings after changing the hostname:

Did you reboot? Also, the cache issue above might be causing the problem.

• Activation of SMB in Edge (instead of a cache flush) helped. Now I have a network volume on my Windows 10 PC.

Write speed is now fluctuating between 3 and 6 MB/s. Did not help at all.

How to further pinpoint the issue?

edit:

Code
    hdparm -Tt /dev/sda

/dev/sda:
     Timing cached reads:   1700 MB in  2.00 seconds = 849.79 MB/sec
     Timing buffered disk reads: 516 MB in  3.00 seconds = 171.91 MB/sec
    • Offizieller Beitrag

Small files? Is the Windows PC connected via wireless? Are the samba settings still in the samba settings tab extra options box? Have you tested the speed with helois lantest?

• Big movie file, only one. PC is connected via wireless 5 GHz, yes, didn't think about that yet... Didn't change anything in SMB tab but activate it, and add the shared folder.

I don't know LanTest, but it seems to be Mac software... Which version is currently for windows?

• Offizieller Beitrag

I am talking about the following script:

It is mentioned in the download area:

Also, forgive me if I assume that booklong text extracts from the shell are not wanted in a forum if there could just be an incompatibility, and also, I have limited time to spend on stuff like this, and wanted a quick and easy solution. /---/

You know, I can't help but take exception to statements and comments like this, particularly when someone begins to talk about "their time" as if it's somehow more valuable than another's. No one has unlimited time and it's not like forum support is "paid" on either end. If time is an issue and money is not, QNAP and Synology have plenty of turn key offerings.

While there was a bump two days ago, the script and supporting doc's have brought thousands of new users, (some are outright NOOB's) to a successful OMV install. That's a fact. (And we're talking about images, scripts and doc's found here or on the official download site - not reddit or Youtube.) If you're having problems, maybe focus on the exact nature of what they are, versus offering opinions on how you think it should be. That saves time on the support end as well.

In the bottom line, if OMV doesn't work for you, I'll gladly refund the standard purchase price.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I don't know LanTest, but it seems to be Mac software... Which version is currently for windows?

From their web site - HELIOS LanTest is a very popular network performance and reliability testing solution for Mac and Windows clients I don't think I have ever used it on anything but Windows. The version I used for Windows is from 2014 but I don't see why that would matter.

My quick 10GB test of helios lantest on rpi4 installed with the script yesterday is hitting 65 MB/s. Definitely room for improvement but not bad.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Actually, there was something wrong with the really old drive that I had plugged in. I plugged in an old Samsung F4 2TB and got better numbers. I'm sure there are better usb to sata adapters as well.

• When you visit the LanTest website, there is no direct Windows download. To click on download for Mac OS X and then find a Windows subfolder... well, Helios doesn't know how to communicate, it seems. Downloading is the next issue, when all I get is seemingly a zip file, which gets converted asap into an 22 kB "9.7.1" w/o file ending. Their file sharing tool is just crap.

When I finally trial&errored to the "open file" option and then again manually opened the file in my download history (because the "download" option obviously couldn't just do that!) and tested, I tested my internal system SSD against my printer, then the NAS drive.

System SSD has read and write values of far over 300 MB/s, NAS drive see attachment.
    Can I assume, the the tool sends data from my PC system SSD to my network printer and back to test? If so, it goeas via wifi to the router, then via wifi to the printer, and is much much faster?

• Offizieller Beitrag

When you visit the LanTest website, there is no direct Windows download. To click on download for Mac OS X and then find a Windows subfolder... well, Helios doesn't know how to communicate, it seems. Downloading is the next issue, when all I get is seemingly a zip file, which gets converted asap into an 22 kB "9.7.1" w/o file ending. Their file sharing tool is just crap.

Yep, the site and the download suck but the tool works well.

System SSD has read and write values of far over 300 MB/s, NAS drive see attachment.

I can't answer why your setup is slow. It shouldn't be the settings. I tested against a Win10 virtual machine where the proxmox host has a 10 GBe connection to the switch and the RPi4 is plugged into a gigabit port on that switch. I did nothing special with the setup other than run the install script and install all updates available in the updates tab. I think you need to test where both ends are wired.

Can I assume, the the tool sends data from my PC system SSD to my network printer and back to test? If so, it goeas via wifi to the router, then via wifi to the printer, and is much much faster?

Never used it to test the printer. I do have a color laser printer that connects via wifi (unifi AC pro access point) and I never have any issue with any size of jobs sent to it.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I am testing with this Orico adapter that does support UAS.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/prod…_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!