mount/unmount share

• I have setup the RPI4 with OMV5 and have been using OMV for a little over a year now. I am setting a PI4 up for a guy that needs to keep a backup of camera systems and they do no allow FTP backup so I have to plug an external HDD into these devices to backup. When I am done with the backup I need to plug it back into the PI to be able to view any video footage that is on that drive. How does it work if I unmount the drive, backup all the video and then plug it back in, mount the drive and create a share for it? I will have to do this once a month until he gets new devices for security footage. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I have an external drive with my RPi4. I put a shared folder on it. And I just plug it in in or out without any manual mounting or unmount commands. And it just works. But I assume that the filesystem may become corrupt if it is writing when you unplug. So far, perhaps 2-4 times a week for 6-8 months, it has just worked.

I use this as a way to move big files between two NAS. I live in the woods. I have very bad internet using the internet sharing of my 4G phone. I just unplug, put it in my pocket, and plug it in to the other NAS. And repeat. Then I do the actual file copying using scripts, but it might be done automatically as well.

It should be possible for you to just plug a drive in and backup to the shared folder directly. Perhaps using a SmartClick button to trigger the backups? Or a button on the GPIO? Or run a script that can detect if the share is available.

I use a 2TB Crucial MX500 2.5" SSD in a slim unpowered Startech USB3 enclosure. EXT4.

I know that this is a form of abuse, and it should not work, but it really seems to work fine. When the SSD is blinkning, I don't unplug it. And the shared folder is always mounted correctly without any corrupt filesystem. So far...

• Im using a 10TB hdd and with the video footage I have, I have no room for corrupt hdd or files as this will need to be readily available for the state police if need be. By law I have to have 90 day backup of all cameras at all times. Errors are not in the game plan.

• Offizieller Beitrag

OK. Then mount/unmount manually using the OMV GUI. Once a month should be fine.

However one problem could be filesystems used. OMV is based on Linux and does not play well with Windows filesystems like NTFS for shares.

But then the camera system might be Linux based as well? And you can backup using a Linux filesystem?

Otherwise you may want to use separate drives for backups and shares. And copy/move files between them. That will also provide an extra backup copy.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Maybe the usbbackup-plugin is helpful. What it does after configuration: when you plug in a USB drive the filesystem is mounted, data are copied from the drive to the NAS (or vice versa), the drive is unmounted.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!