External USB Hard Drive Arbitrarily Unmounting

• In the last week, one of my 4 external USB drives has started randomly unmounting as well, and I am not sure what to do about it. The disk in question serves as a backup disk to another disk using rsync. At least once a day, I have to log in to OMV and manually remount it. I did recently upgrade from OMV 4 to OMV 5, but I do not believe that this has anything to do with the problem, as this started happening after upgrading to OMV 4.1.30 before I jumped to OMV 5.

Prior to this, I had my server up for a long time (294 days, to be exact) and the unmounting issue had not occurred at all with in that time. The disk's SMART tests are passing and I don't hear anything physically wrong with the disk when listening to it, so I am reasonably sure that there is no problem with the disk itself. What's going on? Is there anything I can do to stop this?

• Maybe an issue with the cable? Do you see the same symptoms when you unplug the cable and plug it in again?

Are you using USB3? If so, check if the same happens with a USB2 cable.

I checked the cable yesterday (the first time I touched any of the hardware since setting it up) and it hasn't unmounted since then. Hopefully that's enough for the problem to be solved. I am not confident enough to say that it won't happen again just yet though.

• Omv 5 is still in beta due to the facts that bugs still can appear. Try to report that issue here in the forum at the dev threads or at the development areas (github etc.)

I would try to go back to the previous version where everything was working fine - I hope you did a backup of the system before upgrading to OMV 5 beta and come back if the usb disconnect issue is gone.

• Omv 5 is still in beta due to the facts that bugs still can appear. Try to report that issue here in the forum at the dev threads or at the development areas (github etc.)

I would try to go back to the previous version where everything was working fine - I hope you did a backup of the system before upgrading to OMV 5 beta and come back if the usb disconnect issue is gone.

I was having this issue on OMV 4 as well though so I don't think it's tied to OMV 5 being a beta.

Ditto issue on mine. Waiting for an answer.
    From my observation, the unmount happens when multiple users are writing to the disk.

The disk that is unmounting on my system is not accessible to multiple users. The only way it is ever accessed is by rsync once every 24 hours to back up changes that were made on another disk. The unmounting is inconsistent as well. Sometimes I have to remount it several times a day, while other times it will go several days before unmounting again.

Until I can find a real solution to this problem, my current workaround was to set a scheduled job to run a mount command on the drive once every hour.

• Offizieller Beitrag

This most likely is not an OMV issue and probably has something to do with the kernel device driver (when the drive goes to sleep and causes a disconnect?). Are there any entries in syslog?

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Offizieller Beitrag

He is saying that a new drive probably won't have the issue.

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!