Raspberry Pi 4 (OMV5) installation - Why is my NAS getting two IP addresses?

• Hello all. First time user, here.

I've been using a Raspberry Pi 4 with OMV4 since Oct. of this year as a temporary nas until I can upgrade my Qnap. Originally I used the image that was found in the download section of this site (OMV_4_Raspberry_Pi_2_3_3Plus_4.img.xz) and things worked perfectly for the most part, no major issues. Anyways, after finally upgrading my Qnap, I've decided to keep running Openmediavault on my Raspberry Pi 4 and wanted to try out OMV 5, which I used the instructions found on: RPi and other SBC/armbian images .

I successfully installed a fresh copy of Raspbian Buster Lite and than OMV5 (wget -O - https://github.com/OpenMediaVa…Script/raw/master/install | sudo bash). I've configured a static IP for the RPi4 but now notice that I it keeps getting assign two IP address. One, the static IP I've assigned OMV5 through the Network/Interface and the other through my DHCP server. Why is this happening? I've tried assigning a static IP for the raspberry pi 4 only and left the network interface in OMV5 unassigned but have problems installing docker. When I tried to assign the same static IP (as the RPi4) through OMV5, I keep getting an error when trying to apply the settings; plus rebooting the RPi4 takes a bit longer since it keeps getting stuck at:

[OK] Started Wait for Network to be Configured.

Starting Hostname Service...

Started Hostname Service.

[ * ] A start job is running for dhcpcd on all interfaces (10s / 1min 35s)
    And when the RPi4 does finally boot and reaches the standard login prompt, I get this:

To manage the system visit the openmediavault web control panel:

eth0: 192.168.1.33
    eth0: 192.168.1.155

The x.x.x.33 is the static IP I've assigned OMV5, the other is through my DHCP server.

Any way to fix this? I'm sure I'm doing something wrong here. Thanks!

• Anyone have any suggestion to fix this? I've also noticed that under: System Information/Performance statistics .. CPU usage .. Disk usage .. Load average .. Memory usage .. Network interfaces .. Uptime ... are not working. Only a sad face for stats. Also CPU usage is quite low (0.1% - 1%) on OMV5 than OMV4... and so is memory usage (0.1% of 3.81 GiB). On OMV4, on average: CPU is usually around 5 - 10% (depending on activity) and memory usage is usually at 6-8% of 3.81 GiB.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Did you start off with a static address or did you use DHCP for the first boot?

• Offizieller Beitrag

This is idle speculation, but your DHCP server may be reserving an IP address that it has associated with the R-PI4's mac address.

I'd try:

1. shutting down the R-PI
    2. Rebooting your router (with hard power off and power on)
    3. Start up the R-PI

• Hey crashtest.

"Did you start off with a static address or did you use DHCP for the first boot?"

DHCP for first boot.

"This is idle speculation, but your DHCP server may be reserving an IP
    address that it has associated with the R-PI4's mac address.

I'd try:

1. shutting down the R-PI

2. Rebooting your router (with hard power off and power on)

3. Start up the R-PI"

That's what I thought was happening but even after releasing the DHCP reservation for the Pi4 and rebooting both Pi and Router, the Pi4 would get assign a new IP address even when OMV5 has a static IP already. So I'm at a lost, hence the post.

Any ways, since I have a 2nd Pi4 on hand for another project, I installed a 2nd OMV5 installation... same result. The new Pi4 gets two IPs as well; one static and one from DHCP server. I've even went as far as installing OVM4 with the old image (OMV_4_Raspberry_Pi_2_3_3Plus_4.img.xz) on one of the Pi4. Once I gave it a static IP in OMV4, it retains and only uses the static IP. So, what ever... The only way that I was able to force this install of OMV5 to use one IP was to set a static IP in OMV5 and configure it in Raspbian Buster Lite with the same IP (dhcpcd.conf) and reboot. Since then, only one IP... the static I've given it. So whatever.

System Information/Performance statistics on OMV4 for the Pi4 wasn't really working properly on OMV4 but at least it gave some data where as on OMV5, nothing... just the sad face.

If no other solution, then I'll just stay on OMV4 since I'm only using it as temp storage and considered the current stable OS.

Thanks.

• Offizieller Beitrag

So, you can't use the static address for the GUI? There may be a few wrinkles to iron out in OMV5 so, how about a work around?

Go into your router and set a static DHCP lease for the mac address of your R-PI4. Then set the R-PI, in the GUI, for DHCP. You get the best of both worlds, a static address and local DNS. (This is what I do with all SBC's.)

• Offizieller Beitrag

I thought maybe rather than modifying the existing network from DHCP to static, you are adding a new static network from scratch. I never set up a static ip from the router. In the networks tab, from the initial existing network, I set up a static ip outside of the router’s DHCP assignment range.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I did a quick build to look at other things and set a static IP address on an R-PI, that already has a DHCP lease. The static address set in the GUI is 192.168.1.160 The DHCP lease reservation is 192.168.1.59 The DNS address used is the routers gateway IP.

The follow are the results:

Note the "secondary" address in the following.

The R-PI answers SSH and the GUI console, on the either address so, it could be called a "feature". :)

I'd go with the original recommendation. You can use a static IP address if you like or us DHCP in OMV's GUI, but set a static DHCP lease (or a DHCP lease reservation, whatever your router calls) for the same IP address.

• I thought maybe rather than modifying the existing network from DHCP to static, you are adding a new static network from scratch. I never set up a static ip from the router. In the networks tab, from the initial existing network, I set up a static ip outside of the router’s DHCP assignment range.

Yes, that's what I did.. static ip set outside of DHCP assignment. I'd prefer assigning static ip on the device rather than dhcp server when possible.

"Feature"?, not really. It's not like the RPi4 has dual NICs and if it did, I'd hope it would be used for load balancing, but that's me. It's a NAS, you want it to always be found on the same Ip and not set to DHCP. Hopefully OMV5 final will stick with the single Ip? I'm really impress with the RPi4 and OMV4, the R/W isn't bad for what it is and can rival what other company try to pass off as a NAS. It's no Qnap or Synology but for the price, it can't be beat. Since my Qnap is back up, I'll stick with my original plan and use OVM4 as a temp NAS on the RPi4 for now or until OMV5 is stable ... or another RPi4 project pops up. Thanks!

• Offizieller Beitrag

"Feature"?, not really. It's not like the RPi4 has dual NICs and if it did, I'd hope it would be used for load balancing, but that's me. It's a NAS, you want it to always be found on the same Ip and not set to DHCP.

Not to beat a dead horse but this is what I do:
    - I statically address my servers.
    - Using the same IP address from above, I set a static DHCP reservation on my router. (This can be done using an IP address that is in or outside of a router's DHCP range.)

Beyond eliminating the problem of two IP addresses:
    The above provides one (1) IP address, it provides for server name look up for local clients (local DNS) and if your router goes south, your clients will still be able to connect to the static address.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I hope I didn't muddy the water with my comments above.

- Using the same IP address from above, I set a static DHCP reservation on my router. (This can be done using an IP address that is in or outside of a router's DHCP range.)

What you say makes perfect sense. When I first started working with OMV I did just that. After a time however, I stopped setting the reservation on my router—setting it only in OMV. I may start doing that again. I would still want to stay outside of the DHCP range.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I hope I didn't muddy the water with my comments above.

I don't believe so. I think I did.

I would still want to stay outside of the DHCP range

Actually, I have both - DHCP reservations inside and outside of the range. The router respects either and most of them have enough intelligence to scan their arp tables to insure that they don't issue a conflicting address. The DHCP range applies only to IP addresses issued by the router, to unknown MAC addresses.

• Offizieller Beitrag

As I said - VOODOO! :D

• Offizieller Beitrag

I’ve seen this behavior before ages ago in omv arm images when I tested a rock64. Iirc there is another dhcp client installed by default (Armbian) among the typical isc that ships with normal Debian install. Atm I cannot remember the exact name, but has the “dhcp” string in the package name. If you list your installed packages matching dhcp what results do you get ?

• Interestingly I'm getting exactly the same but in a VMWare ESX virtual machine. 2 IP's assigned to the primary interface.

In my case they are both DHCP. About to try statically assigning it via the router and see what happens then.

It first seemed to occur in this new (and test) install after installing the docker component via omv-extras .

oh, and as per above, the installed packages matching DHCP :

root@OMV5:/etc/network# dpkg --get-selections | grep dhcp
    isc-dhcp-clientinstall
    isc-dhcp-commoninstall

• Offizieller Beitrag

Thank you for the comments that you are annoyed. They are very helpful.

apt-get purge dhcpcd5 will fix the issue. The install script has been updated.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Some people read the Wall Street Journal over their breakfast coffee. I read the forum. It’s mildly hugely entertaining. :D
    I have to pay for the WSJ. This is free.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!