Remote access

• Hello everyone,

OMV is great and working well for me.

I know that a NAS is never supposed to be exposed on the Internet, but still I want to expose a few ports so I can control a few things remotely.

My ISP gives me a public IP address so I set up DDNS and fort forwarding rules on my router. For some reason remote access is not working, here's some TCPdump info on the OMV machine:

Visiting OMV using DDNS address on a device in the same LAN: you can see the incoming and outgoing packets

Visiting OMV using DDNS address on the same device but from Internet: you can see the incoming packets but no outgoing ones, it seems that my OMV machines receives the request but never responds.

I'm confused by this, appreciate all your help.

• It would be more helpful if you said what ports are being used/forwarded.

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• It would be more helpful if you said what ports are being used/forwarded.

There is a plugin for that, no need to use Docker.
    As gderf mentioned, more details would be helpful for troubleshooting.

Thank you guys.

The port I'm forwarding is 9091, I've tried to forward other ports too like port 80 (just for testing, I don't plan to expose port 80 on the Internet), the same happens.

I use OpenVPN in a docker container so that whatever application running inside that container is protected by the VPN, I don't need the whole OMV machine protected by the VPN.

Also here is the iptables if it helps

• No idea why you have the firewall running on your pi, if it's behind a NAT router it's unnecessary. But if you insist on doing this then you need to get things working without it, then do what it takes to keep things working with it running.

Your understanding of the OpenVPN docker is not correct. "whatever application running inside that container is protected by the VPN" .......uh....nope.

--

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• No idea why you have the firewall running on your pi, if it's behind a NAT router it's unnecessary. But if you insist on doing this then you need to get things working without it, then do what it takes to keep things working with it running.

Your understanding of the OpenVPN docker is not correct. "whatever application running inside that container is protected by the VPN" .......uh....nope.

I believe those rules were created when the docker containers are created.

You are right, my understanding of the OpenVPN docker was incorrect. The VPN is active, remote requests will be treated as "non-local" traffic and therefore be routed out through the VPN interface.

I've created a reverse proxy, now the problem is solved, thanks!

• Where do you find this plugin? I saw some videos that showed the OpenVPN plugin being available but I do not see it on my OMV Raspberry Pi installation. I do have 'extras' installed.

This thread is tagged for OMV 5, but AFAIK there is no OpenVPN Plugin for OMV 5.

--

• Offizieller Beitrag

Needs to get added to the list then:

It is in the testing repo since I have no way to test it. https://bintray.com/beta/#/ope…ault-openvpn?tab=overview

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!