Backup to NTFS or EXT4?

• Hi all. I know I know...NTFS is BAD. I have read that enough times with my searches here. =O But I do not have OMV yet and want to make sure of something:

I would like to backup my data to an external USB drive that will be typically disconnected.
    1) Am I better to backup to my external drive using EXT4 then use an EXT4 tool in Windows to read (not write) contents out of the backup if need be?
    or
    2) Is it possible to backup to this external USB drive using NTFS so I can directly read it in Windows?

From what I have read, I think #1 is the better way to go because it will greatly simplify restoring data back to OMV if I need to rebuild the NAS if hardware failed.

Also, do any of the backup plugins allow you to backup some data to 1 external drive and other data to another external drive? TY

• Offizieller Beitrag

for #1 you can also boot a life linux distro and copy the data from the external drive to your Windows machine.

Also, do any of the backup plugins allow you to backup some data to 1 external drive and other data to another external drive? TY

The USB backup plugin can backup to different external drives. Just set up different jobs for each of the drive. The drive will be recognized by the plugin by Label or UUID.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!