[SOLVED]What is the max HDD capacity does LSI SAS 9212-4i HBA supports ?

• Resolved
    • OMV 5.x (beta)

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• [SOLVED]What is the max HDD capacity does LSI SAS 9212-4i HBA supports ?

Hi everyone,

Happy new year! :thumbsup:

I am just wondering, has anyone using this LSI 9212-4i card before?

I have completed flashed the card into Initiator Target (IT) mode with the apporpriate firmware +
      also updated the latest bios on the card.

What is the maximum hard disk capacity, can card this support: 4TB or 8TB? I could not find any info. in Google.

Thank you.

• search for LSI SAS 2008 that is the chipset used.

apparently last BIOS firmwares have support fot 16TB and high HD.
      OMV 4.1.11 x64 on a HP T510, 16GB CF as Boot Disk & 32GB SSD 2,5" disk for Data, 4 GB RAM, CPU VIA EDEN X2 U4200 is x64 at 1GHz

Post: HPT510 SlimNAS ; HOWTO Install Pi-Hole ; HOWTO install MLDonkey ; HOHTO Install ZFS-Plugin ; OMV_OldGUI ; ShellinaBOX ; ctop
      Dockers: MLDonkey ; PiHole ; weTTY
      Videos: @TechnoDadLife
    • This was an OEM card, and not sold directly by LSI. That doesn't matter from a specification and update standpoint though, as @raulfg3 notes above.

This card was sold by HP. HP's Model number was XP310AA. Here's a link to HP's product specification overview. It may be helpful to you. Its not direct from HP's site (I couldn't find it there), but it is the HP document:

LSI 9212 QuickSpecs

If you're using LSI firmware, version P10 & higher will have no limitation on disk size, so you could use any size you want. I believe the current firmware version is P20.

Your card has individual SATA ports for each disk, so you're limited to 4 disks total. Many other cards with the LSI SAS 2008 chip had "high density" SFF 8087 connectors that could connect to expander cards and increase the number of disks, but that isn't an option here.

You can use SATA or SAS disks. But if you use SAS disks, you'll need to have power and data cables that work with SAS, because the SAS connectors are slightly different.
      Just trying to get by

The post was edited 1 time, last by Markess ().

• Markess wrote:

Your card has individual SATA ports for each disk, so you're limited to 4 disks total. Many other cards with the LSI SAS 2008 chip had "high density" SFF 8087 connectors that could connect to expander cards and increase the number of disks, but that isn't an option here.

You can use SATA or SAS disks. But if you use SAS disks, you'll need to have power and data cables that work with SAS, because the SAS connectors are slightly different.
      @ Markess, thank you for the extra info provided.... :thumbup: However, SAS disk is not within my budget.....It is just too expensive for home use for normal desktop PC.

I bought this card simply because it supports SATA hard disk using normal SATA 2/3 cables to work with my normal SATA desktop hard disk, right off the bat. :)
      (No need to get special break cables like SFF-8087)

The post was edited 1 time, last by wepee ().

• After I have read from:

shoppds.com/digitalcontent/PRO…03f-be67-a5c4da6a42db.pdf

I did some reading from:

ixsystems.com/community/thread…sas2008.69507/post-478279

This HP LSI RAID card: LSI 9212-4i is based on LSI SAS2008 chipset using SAS 2(2nd generation standard which is NOT based on SAS 1st generation type)

See the picture inserted below.

So basically, this card support Logical Bit Addressing (LBA) 48 = 48bit addressing = 144 petabytes =144,000,000 gigabytes, which supports a whopping of 144000 terabytes 8o

The post was edited 1 time, last by wepee ().