Cockpit networking issues - can not enable networking

• Hello,

I'm brand new to using cockpit to create VM's and am trying to create my first VM with it. Currently I am getting stumped with networking and trying to get the default entry activated gives me the following error message.

Code
    Network default failed to get activated

Cannot check dnsmasq binary /usr/sbin/dnsmasq: No such file or directory

How do I go about correcting this?

Thanks!

• I am also struggling with that same issue, but it is not that simple. And it should not be marked not resolved.

I installed dnsmasq but it is in conflict with systemd-resolved. Both want to listen to port 53.

systemd-resolved is started prior dnsmasq when you reboot. If you install dnsmasq it will fail to start with "Jan 19 09:46:47 openmediavault.local dnsmasq[27846]: failed to create listening socket for port 53: Address already in use".

You can disable systemd-resolved, but I am ot sure the effect on OMV and Debian uner it.

Best resource and some convoluted - for me! - solutions I found are here https://unix.stackexchange.com…masq-and-systemd-resolved

So, basically using Cockpit out of the box is not working. Any suggestions form the wiser people?

• Anyone got success with installing virtual machines with cockpit in OMV5? This is NOT resolved because installation of dnsmaq is not possible because port 53 is in use like mentioned here.

• Since OMV5 is a installable imagewith default operating system Debian 10, i don't understand why cockpit is in the extra plugins when you can't use it. everyone will have exactly this problem.

• Hi,

I installed and maked working cockpit with this additional command via ssh:

Code
    sudo apt install dnsmasq

Now add in /etc/systemd/resolved.conf :
    DNSStubListener=no

and run:
    virsh net-autostart default

now reboot the system.

When the system boot, you have network working in libvirt (cockpit use it):

Code
    root@openmediavault2:~# virsh net-list --all
     Name      State    Autostart   Persistent
    --------------------------------------------
     default   active   yes         yes
    root@openmediavault2:~#

so you can create vm and use it!

Please note: I tested this in a clean system with latest omv5 iso and last omv-extra "wget -O - https://github.com/OpenMediaVa…ckages/raw/master/install | bash"

• I solved by installing dnsmasq and recommended package resolvconf; after reboot I have activated network by: virsh net-start default; by: virsh net-list --all u can verify. Then I am able to install vm

• I solved by installing dnsmasq and recommended package resolvconf; after reboot I have activated network by: virsh net-start default; by: virsh net-list --all u can verify. Then I am able to install vm

ok. After that i can install a VM. But I cannot edit the network adapters.

There is no menu to edit the Network on the left side. Every Cockpit tutorial shows the menu entry "Network" but in my standard OMV5/Cockpit Installation this is missing. I have 4 NIC in my server so I want to bridge a NIC with fixed IP to the VM I want to install. Is there something i miss?

In virtual box it works fine.

update:

after installing

apt install cockpit-networkmanager

the menu "Networking is available"

but "the option "Bridge to LAN" is greyed out. After some investigations I realized that this option is NOT implemented yet. What a pity ...

• I setup cockpit on an Ubuntu 20.04 clean install and poked around to see how they were handling this situation. On the Ubuntu machine I noticed that the "dnsmasq-base" package was installed, but that "dnsmasq" was not. So I tried installing just "dnsmasq-base" on my OMV machine and that seems to be working. I did not have to make any other modifications to system configuration files.

• Offizieller Beitrag

dnsmasq-base will be installed when clicking the install cockpit button now.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!