OMV5 in Virtual Box as Production system

• Hi,

I'm running OMV4 on Debian 9 (one disk install) currently, which is always running.
    I would like to go to Debian 10 om my computer and use OMV5 (or if not stable enough yet OMV4) in Virtual Box as a Production NAS.
    Would that be wise to do ?
    And how can I arrange this to work correctly with the (non-virtual) disks on my computer? (For example to be able to rsync the shared folders on the non-virtual disks to the backup disks (also non-virtual))

Any help would be appreciated.

• If you consider to run OMV in a vm (what is not a bad idea) you should take a look on Proxmox 6.x (based on Debian 10). And yes, you can pass through complete disks or RAIDs to a vm with pve.
    BR
    Jan

• Hi Jan,

Thanks for your answer, Iĺl look into it.
    Should I install Debian 10 first and PVE 6.x on top of it or is installing PVE 6.x solely a better idea when I want to run OMV 5 on it? So I guess PVE replaces Virtual Box for that matter.
    Best Regards,

John

• Hi John,
    install pve from their ISO and then install OMV in a vm on the pve host, not on the host itself. I'm just migrating my OMV4-NAS server (that also runs a few Virtualbox vms) to vms in Proxmox - it's fun...
    BR
    Jan

PS: OMV5 is still beta - better use OMV4 on a production system...;-)

• Hi,

I have installed Proxmox 6.1.1 on a desktop ("the server") and created a VM in which I installed OMV5.

In the Proxmox-GUI (which I run from a laptop) I can see the non-virtual disks as they are listed in the Disk section of the node. The physical disks are external harddisks connected via USB to the server.

I have a few questions now:

1) Can you indicate how I can make these disks (and/or the directories on these disks I want to share) available for the OMV5-VM? Preferably via the GUI of course (examples?)

I read through the proxmox guides and I'm totally lost on how to do this. As said I already have data on the external harddisks and don't want to use virtual-drives if not needed. (That also would consume a lot of time since I need to move all directories and files from the external physical disks to virtual-disks)

2) In the directorystructure on the external physical harddisks I have stored several ISOs of Operating Systems of which I would like to create VMs. However I can not browse (from the GUI) to these directories to upload them into the space where Proxmox can use it for installation in a VM.

Can you show how to accomplish this (preferably via examples)?

Thanks,

John.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!