Interesting new open source NAS

• Offizieller Beitrag

Here is the next generation of the Helios that is now available as a board or a five bay NAS case
    http://linuxgizmos.com/five-ba…es-rk3399-ups-and-2-5gbe/

http://linuxgizmos.com/files/kobol_helios64_duo.jpg

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Offizieller Beitrag

Oddly enough, I just got the email from Kobol this morning on this (I've been on their email list since the Helios4, even though I ultimately decided against it). The Helios 4 was pretty much 100% compatible with Linux and IIRC, several people here have them and like them.

I'm not sure the case. I'd like to see some pics of the inside layout, etc. but it looks pretty promising.

• It looks very interesting and the price is not so bad I have to say.
    As far as I know it will run OMV since the kobol team will offer debian/ubuntu images through armbian and with armbian you can install OMV.
    I like the USB-C connection with DAS option. Gives somehow an expansion possibility

• Offizieller Beitrag

The case looks great, how is ZFS support form aarch64?

Not sure if the plugin would work but Debian has all the zfs packages in the repo for arm64.

Looks interesting. Will it run OMV?

They mention in the blog that it will have armbian-built debian and ubuntu images. So, shouldn't be an issue running OMV.

I like the builtin UPS and they will be selling a battery for it for $12. Not bad. Kinda wish the 2.5GBe adapter wasn't connected to usb3 though.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

• I'm happy confident it'll run omv my question is it powerful enough to replace my current server? Wonder if it'll be powerful enough to do some basic transcoding?

• Offizieller Beitrag

but i really don't need it, but it's so cute and nice

Same here :)

are these ARM boards on par or faster?

I would say it is faster (more cores) for most tasks and definitely more power efficient.

• Offizieller Beitrag

The Helios64 is available to pre-order - https://shop.kobol.io/. Unfortunately for me, they don't accept paypal and my credit cards are declined :(

** Edit - Contacted my card company and they allowed the order :)

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von ryecoaaron ()

• The Helios64 is available to pre-order - https://shop.kobol.io/. Unfortunately for me, they don't accept paypal and my credit cards are declined :(

I'd be curious as to how many others run into the same things. Not off to a very good start are they? Any explanation as to why your cards are rejected, foreign sale perhaps?

The price seemed right for what it is too. Hope you can find a way to pay them in time to get that generous discount they offer to the first 500 buyers :)

I decided to order the parts for an 8 bay JBOD box instead. Totaled out @ $327.00 without drives.

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I'd be curious as to how many others run into the same things. Not off to a very good start are they? Any explanation as to why your cards are rejected, foreign sale perhaps?

I'm guessing my credit card didn't like the charge from China. Probably not much kobol can do.

Hope you can find a way to pay them in time to get that generous discount they offer to the first 500 buyers

The discount is only $10 and doesn't really offset the pain of the $37 shipping.

• Offizieller Beitrag

The price seemed right for what it is too. Hope you can find a way to pay them in time to get that generous discount they offer to the first 500 buyers :)

I decided to order the parts for an 8 bay JBOD box instead. Totaled out @ $327.00 without drives.

I have the same problem... my CU declines EVERYTHING that isn't US based. I guess when some dude in Nairobi tried to buy $3400 worth of Netbooks from the Philippines, they pay attention. Sad thing was, I was calling them within 10min of it happening to turn my card off as I kept getting alerts on my cell phone for multiple $300 charges (I got dinged for 10 cheap netbooks by the time they turned my card off... I funded netbooks for a classroom that day..lol).

I don't use credit cards, so what I ended up doing, I got a Paypal Prepaid Mastercard... it's like $3.50 a month (I use it to pay for a VPN service as well, as my bank always declined that as well). I just transfer money to it from my bank, to my Paypal Account, and then my Paypal Account to the PayPal MC, and then use my PayPal MC to buy overseas stuff. I rarely have more than $50-$60 bucks on that card, so if someone did manage to hit it, they aren't getting much.

Thus far, it's worked like a charm.

• My bank (Chase) declines all suspicious purchases and sends me an email with yes and no buttons I can push to authorize or decline a buy. This includes out of state purchases made too soon after a purchase made in state many miles away, and all foreign buys.

If I decline a buy because it isn't me doing the buy, it automatically cancels my card, I get a phone call from Chase, and they send me a new card out next day air.

I've had a few bogus online purchases made, and a few that require the actual plastic - gas pumps two time zones away for example.

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Oh you've bought gas for people in other states to? You're just as charitable as I am, apparently... :)

My bank has always been great about putting my money back on fraudulent charges, so I can't complain about their strict policies... and it's not just me, it's everyone who banks with them (my whole family does).

One thing nice that I use regularly now... My bank now has an app where I can actually turn my debit card on and off. So if I'm at work, I know I won't be using my card, and just turn my card off. If I'm going to the store, I know I'm going to use it, so I use my phone to turn it on. It's pretty close to instant when I turn it on/off. I declines all transactions when it's off, even PIN purchases/withdraws. A couple times I've forgotten to turn my card on while grocery shopping and my card gets declined. I pull out my phone and turn my card on, run it again, and it goes through w/o issue.

• Offizieller Beitrag

They claim it supports OMV.
    https://wiki.kobol.io/helios64/intro/
    [size=22]Software[url='https://wiki.kobol.io/helios64/intro/#software']¶[/url][/size][b]Software Specifications[/b]

Operating SystemLinux Debian and UbuntuKernel Version5.4U-Boot Version2019.11Software Partners- Armbian: Debian and Ubuntu for ARM board- OpenMediaVault: Linux NAS turn-key solution- Syncloud: Cloud services at your premises- Nextcloud: The File Hosting Solutions

• Offizieller Beitrag

They claim it supports OMV.

That is because they have been working with armbian on a Debian image. And since Armbian has armbian-config that can install OMV, they say it works. I don't see any reason why it wouldn't though. There are already other rk3399 boards that work well with OMV.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!