JBOD Device for more storage.

• I am considering getting a JBOD device to connect to my existing server which is maxed out on used drive bays (8 available, 8 used). I was thinking along the lines of one of these boxes connected to my existing server using an eSATA card with an external port rather than using USB.

https://www.amazon.com/Mediaso…ay&qid=1578083741&sr=8-13

I am curious as to how the drives in the JBOD enclosure would present themselves to OMV. I am not interested in any type of RAID (they sell similar units that can do that at more cost), it should look just like more individual disks and be amenable to using mergerfs and SnapRAID.

Has anyone extended their OMV server this way?

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I have a two bay USB enclosure configured as JBOD. Just a Bunch Of Drives. The drives do indeed present as individual drives. I configured the enclosure to use mergerfs. Works fine. The enclosure also allowed me to configure the drives as RAID 1 or RAID 0.

Since there is only one USB cable, the possibility of distributed parallel reads and writes is reduced. But for moderate sequential loads like backups or a large, mostly static, media library it should still work fine.

I use this with two 8 TB drives for cold backups. It is easy to remove and replace the drives. Using mergerfs the cold backups on the drives will be usable on the individual drives even when removed from the enclosure, so I could easily replace the drives, perhaps move the old drives to another location, and create another big cold backup if I wanted to. Before I did the backup I did setup the drives with some folders so the mergerfs could use existing path. The backup is thanks to this pretty nicely split up on the drives, not a random jumble of files.

• Thanks to all for your comments.

I'm going to probably end up building my own DAS box instead of purchasing one based on the same Silverstone DS380 8 bay hot swap case I used for my OMV box. I Already have a spare 300W power supply to put in it. I just need a SAS/SATA HBA card for my OMV box, a pair of 8087 to SATA fanout cables, a pair of 8087-8088 adapters in PCI brackets, and a pair of 8088-8088 cables.

This will give me the flexibility of perhaps later converting the DAS box into a NAS box by adding a motherboard to it.

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!