Proxmox Spin down HDD

• Hello,

Has anyone achieved to spin down hdds in OMV running under proxmox?

I am currently trying to spin some disks, that I passthrough to the KVM VM, but it seems not to be working.

Kind regards

• Offizieller Beitrag

You might ask on irc on freenode.net ##proxmox. There are some smart users there. I think it is a proxmox issue.

If you make it idiot proof, somebody will build a better idiot.

• Hello,

Yes, it seems proxmox doesn't allow to spindown disks, so the only solution I found was to passthrough an entire PCIE Sata expansion controller, to OMV, so know I am able to monitor SMART and spin down disks through the VM.

The only problem I am facing now, is that I can spin them down manually through CLI but not automatically through GUI, so just checking what might be going wrong there.

Kind regards

• Is there any syslog, to check that OMV is executing command to spin down disks? It has already passed 20 min with the disks off, just because I spinned down manually, but I do not achieve to spin them down automatically.

• Just my 5 cents:
    Proxmox is a professional system - and no pro would ever seriously think about frequently spinning down hdds in a server system. It doesn't save energy and costs, because the drives will die much earlier when you spin them up and down often. If you don't need a server just don't build and run one, and play with other less power consuming toys.

• Just my 5 cents:
    Proxmox is a professional system - and no pro would ever seriously think about frequently spinning down hdds in a server system. It doesn't save energy and costs, because the drives will die much earlier when you spin them up and down often. If you don't need a server just don't build and run one, and play with other less power consuming toys.

Well, to be honest, lots of DCs are even building their datacenters with water cooling, or at north countries to avoid paying so much for electricity, and if drives are going to be used only once or twice a week, just to save backups, I do not see the point on why not saving that amount of energy. Considering some drives being powered on only that amount of time, don't think their life will be much affected.
    Even, proxmox in based debian OS, for sure, they wouldn't last much time make hdparm work correctly with their system.

• Well, to be honest: you are obviousy miles away from the needs of a DC - and we were not talking about energy consumption for cooling. For two short backups a week you don't need a server with hdds in standby - just plug in an external disk or a hotplugable disktray and remove it after backup...

• Well, to be honest: you are obviousy miles away from the needs of a DC - and we were not talking about energy consumption for cooling. For two short backups a week you don't need a server with hdds in standby - just plug in an external disk or a hotplugable disktray and remove it after backup...

I am poping out DC topic, as you told me proxmox is a professional system, and some times professionals, needs energy savings. So sorry if I do not understand why a professional system wouldn't like to develop this option.
    Talking about cooling, was more, like talking about earnings that people or a company might want to consider, nothing else

• Professionals have to save costs - e.g. costs for unnecessarily wasted electric power, for unnecessarily worn out hdds, for unnecessarily installed servers and for wasted time while thinking about how to spin down hdds in a server system ;-).

• There is a way without PCI passtrough.
    The problem is pvestatd which is constantly scanning your drives.

you can edit /etc/lvm/lvm.conf to exclude your drives. Just reject them via global filter.

eg.: dont scan sda and sdb:

global_filter = [ "r|/dev/sda.*|", "r|/dev/sdc.*|" ,"r|/dev/zd.*|", "r|/dev/mapper/pve-.*|" "r|/dev/mapper/.*-(vm|base)--[0-9]+--disk--[0-9]+|"]

PS: These people, unable to help and unable to think out of their box... Just dont listen...

• Thanks a lot for a solution mate :D

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!