SnapRaid only using one drive ->complaining its full

• Hi everybody, so I've merged to hard drives into one using SnapRaid and Union Filesystems. It worked fine until one of the hard drives got full and now I cant write anything on /srv/1d185... OMV only filled the first hard drive from the beginning on but I thought maybe it would one after another turns out it didn't. So any suggestions on how to fix this?
    The Union File Systems Version is 4.0.2
    I would really appreciate someone who I could talk to on e.g. Discord to resolve this issue asap.
    Thanks in advance

• Offizieller Beitrag

How did you setup your snapraid?

From your description it is not clear, but did you use only two ("to"?) drives?

If you set it up using two drives then I assume one drive is data and the other is parity. Then your observed behavior is what is expected. You only have one data drive. This is a pretty useless config.

You would want at least three drives with the biggest used for parity and the two other merged for data.

Or just mergerfs with two drives, without parity.

Or just one drive with backups using rsync on the other.

• Ups, yes I indeed did use only two drives. When I set the system up I didn't quite understand what exactly I was doing, I was just following a guide but I wasn't that stupid to create one data and one parity drive. I ended up doing both of them as data drives. With the knowledge I have now I recognized too that I didn't even need SnapRaid but when I set the system up I didn't know that yet.
    But I actually did use mergerfs too to merge both hard drives.
    So as of my understanding right now I don't even have a problem with SnapRaid but with mergerfs since it looks like something's messed up there.

• Offizieller Beitrag

OK, you have a two drive mergerfs setup. Not a two drive snapraid setup.

How did you setup the mergerfs?

If you used a policy containing "existing path" then chances are that you are trying to write a file to a folder that only exists on one of the drives. And that drive is now full. Again, then your observed behavior is what is expected.

Perhaps you instead want to store new files on the drive with the most free space? Then you should use the most free space policy, MFS.

• I noticed it seems you have a 6TB drive and a 1TB drive merged... do you want any redundancy? If so you can split those and then choose a specific folder to backup to the 1TB drive and just put your important stuff in that folder. Otherwise it’s best if you get 2 more 6TB drives.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!