SnapRaid Raid 1 help

• Hi so i have 2 10 tb hdds in raid 1 with snapraid
    the problem is their are almost full so i need to add another 2 hdds
    my question is if i add to the raid 1 2 more drives will it delete everything on the 2 that are full or is there a way to expend the existing one without loosing the data?
    Thanks for your help in advance

• Offizieller Beitrag

No, I think he means that what you say does not make sense.

You don't actually have 2 10 TB drives in RAID1 with snapraid. Because that is not possible. You have something else. Until you tell us what you actually have, it is difficult to help.

You might have mergerfs with two drives. No RAID1. No snapraid. Then you just add a new drive.

You might have RAID1. No snapraid. Then you need to totally reconfigure the RAID1 array from scratch and this means you need to backup everything and later restore it to the new array.

You might have 2 drives in mergerfs and one parity for snapraid. Then you can just add the new drive as long as it isn't bigger than the existing parity drive. I am not sure of the exact procedure but it should be easier than creating a new RAID array from scratch.

You might have something else?

• You should have more than one copy of the content file. If your only copy is on a data drive that is lost, then there is no way to recover.

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• Offizieller Beitrag

@gderf is correct - in a 2 disk SNAPRAID setup, a content file would have to be on the parity drive to recover.

my question is if i add to the raid 1 2 more drives will it delete everything on the 2 that are full or is there a way to expend the existing one without loosing the data?

@JapanFreak ; you can add two drives to your SNAPRAID set up, easily. Physically add the drives, format them, mount them, and use the ADD button in the SNAPRAID plug in. Check the boxes for "Content" and "Data", then run snapraid sync , or use the Tools drop down in the GUI, and you're done.
    (With drives of that size, sync will take awhile.)

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!