Failed to boot OMV 4.1.22 ("AMD-Vi: Unable to write to IOMMU perf counter."), but OK with OMV 5.0.5

• Hi all and a Happy New Year!

I tried to install the official OMV 4.1.22 (openmediavault_4.1.22-amd64.iso).
    I manged to boot once OK. After some plaing around I rebooted and the machine hanged during boot (2 sec in the process) with
    "AMD-Vi: Unable to write to IOMMU perf counter...". (I dont remember the exact fault - I lost my photo of the boot screen)
    I reinstalled multiple times 4.1.22 from the USB, but never managed to boot afterwards.

At the end I gave up and installed the 5.x beta. And it worked.
    But now I have some issues and I would like to go to a stable version.

I suspect that the kernel of 4.1.22 was not able to deal with my HW ( mP = AMD Ryzen 3 3200G, MoBo = Asus PRIME B450M-A)...

I think my option now is to downgrade the 5.0.5 to a 4.x using this procedure
    https://forum.openmediavault.o…grading-to-newer-version/
    Shall I pick using one openmediavault_4.1.22-1_all.deb (from http://packages.openmediavault…ol/main/o/openmediavault/)
    Will i keep my current kernel?

Or shall I pick the latest 4.1.30? (openmediavault_4.1.30-1_all.deb)

Any other advice?

• Why not try to fix the issues in OMV 5?

What are they? It's running quite stable for me. Might be easier than downgrading.

For example

The DLNA plugin seem not working with my other devices and I wanted to make sure it is not the OMV. (I didn't have time to dive into it)

I deleted some unused containers via Portainer and I lost the DNS configuration on the OMV network interface. o.0

This scared me thinking 5.x is not yet ready. I have very limited time and I don't want to spend it on the OMV core.

But maybe downgrading will eat more time? Is it even a sane thing to do?

Edit: Also, I saw post about OMV 6 web interface. This made me think the effort on 5.x. is low and it will be generally unstable version...

• Offizieller Beitrag

Also, I saw post about OMV 6 web interface. This made me think the effort on 5.x. is low and it will be generally unstable version...

Not sure how you got to that point but the reason 6.x is being worked on is because 5.x is basically at the release candidate stage. Just needs more people testing it. minidlna and portainer have nothing to do with OMV since they are omv-extras stuff.

I deleted some unused containers via Portainer and I lost the DNS configuration on the OMV network interface. o.0

Did you have a dns server specified in the dns settings in the network section of the web interface? If so, you probably just needed to enable and start systemd-resolved.

The DLNA plugin seem not working with my other devices and I wanted to make sure it is not the OMV. (I didn't have time to dive into it)

I guess the plugin may be at fault but doubtful (it is pretty simple). Not many people use it anymore. I only maintain it to be used as a reference plugin. The version of minidlna hasn't really changed.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Offizieller Beitrag

Another argument to go to 4.x is the plugins. For example, there is no VPN on 5.x

There are very few plugins available on 4.x that aren't available in docker (which is a better way to run them). And I did port the vpn plugin. It is in the testing repo because I have no way to test it - https://bintray.com/beta/#/ope…ault-openvpn?tab=overview. You could easily use docker for vpn as well.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

• Offizieller Beitrag

From all that I get the idea that downgrading is not a wise approach, right?

Correct.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!