Issue with RAID 1 on two USB external disks

• Hello,

I've got Raspberry Pi 3 and I want to use two external disks USB. If I plug just only one it's works fine. But when I want to plug the second one it starts weird buzzing. The file system could not be creat at that time. Disks are OK. Maybe the power supply is too low? Any ideas? What can cause a problem?

• The RPI3 cannot power two external USB drives without external power supply. Also it is not recommended to create a RAID array with USB disks in general. Therefore since OMV4 creating a RAID out of USB disks is no longer possible. So if your data is important for you, please do not use a RAID 1 or any other RAID with RPIs and USB disks.

The forum is full of posts where people getting serious troubles with such a configuration.

OMV 3.0.100 (Gray style)

ASRock Rack C2550D4I C0-stepping - 16GB ECC - 6x WD RED 3TB (ZFS 2x3 Striped RaidZ1) - Fractal Design Node 304 -

3x WD80EMAZ Snapraid / MergerFS-pool via eSATA - 4-Bay ICYCube MB561U3S-4S with fan-mod

• Personally I have no experience with RPIs. I would try an active powered USB hub between the RPI and the drive. But I remember that there were also issues with such a constellation. You should find some threads here in the forum about this topic. But I you do not use RAID it should be possible with two disk. And you can reach a sufficient data security if you "rsync" the data of drive 1 to drive 2 regularly.

OMV 3.0.100 (Gray style)

ASRock Rack C2550D4I C0-stepping - 16GB ECC - 6x WD RED 3TB (ZFS 2x3 Striped RaidZ1) - Fractal Design Node 304 -

3x WD80EMAZ Snapraid / MergerFS-pool via eSATA - 4-Bay ICYCube MB561U3S-4S with fan-mod

• Offizieller Beitrag

There are plenty of powered USB disks available. All 3.5" external HDDs are typically powered. External 2.5", not so much.

I use a powered dual 3.5" drive Startech case with my RPi4. I also have some powered single 3.5" drive Startech enclosures. All works fine. I also use some unpowered 2.5" SSDs with my RPi4, also works fine.

There are some that use powered USB-hubs. And that seem to work. But I avoid USB hubs. I want as little as possible between the HDD and the RPi for performance and stability reasons. Using a USB hub you greatly increase the number of USB connectiors used and there are more things that can go wrong.

• Offizieller Beitrag

No, I think it will be terrible. You will get the exact same answer from me, regarding any USB hub. They are all terrible and should only be used for peripherals like printers, scanners, keyboards and mice. Never for harddrives. Except perhaps very temporarily for backups. Absolutely not for data storage for a NAS.

But then this is just my personal opinion. Feel free to ignore it.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!