Shared Folder on Raspberry SD card

• Hi,

I plan to use my Raspberry 2 with a 128GB SD card with OMV on it.
    The question is how can I create a shared folder on that SD card?
    Should I install OMV, then shrink the partition, create a new ext4 parition that could be mounted and used as shared folder? Is it possible?

• Should I install OMV, then shrink the partition, create a new ext4 parition that could be mounted and used as shared folder? Is it possible?

This is exactly the way I did it with OMV3 - with a usual magnetic hard disk, not an SDCard and without creating a shared folder. SDCards are not intended and made for many write cycles. Maybe to use an SDCard for random data storage could be a dangerous thing. There are a lot of threads here in the forum regarding dying SDCards after a while.

OMV 3.0.100 (Gray style)

ASRock Rack C2550D4I C0-stepping - 16GB ECC - 6x WD RED 3TB (ZFS 2x3 Striped RaidZ1) - Fractal Design Node 304 -

3x WD80EMAZ Snapraid / MergerFS-pool via eSATA - 4-Bay ICYCube MB561U3S-4S with fan-mod

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von cabrio_leo ()

• You didn't answer my question.

That´s not true. Assuming that the omv installation image for RPI behaves like the AMD64 image, it should work like you have described it. With the SDCard it depends how ofter data is written to the card. If that happends not to often and if you have some other kind of data backup solution, your approach could work for a reasonable time.

OMV 3.0.100 (Gray style)

ASRock Rack C2550D4I C0-stepping - 16GB ECC - 6x WD RED 3TB (ZFS 2x3 Striped RaidZ1) - Fractal Design Node 304 -

3x WD80EMAZ Snapraid / MergerFS-pool via eSATA - 4-Bay ICYCube MB561U3S-4S with fan-mod

• Ok so do you confirm that beside the fact that I cannot currently select SD card to create a shared folder, that will be possible once the OMG partition will be shrinked to make place to a new ext4 partition?

• Offizieller Beitrag

Why do you ask? Why not just try it to see if it can be done?

I don't know. But as far as I know it is not advisable, but technically it should be possible. But the OMV GUI might not allow it. Could perhaps be circumvented using the command line.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Ok so do you confirm that beside the fact that I cannot currently select SD card to create a shared folder, that will be possible once the OMG partition will be shrinked to make place to a new ext4 partition?

Yes, but you have to create the additional partition outside of OMV. Either on CLI or in (e.g.) gparted on another Linux system. You will be able to mount it in OMV.

Just did it last weekend ;)
    Very low power storage.

• Tried yesterday. I can confirm that it works fine. As said by Macom, I had to shrink OMV partition and create a ext4 primary partition outside OMV, using Gparted.
    Then I was able to mount and pick that partition to create a shared folder using OMV web ui.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!