Should I still use EXT4 or not?

• Offizieller Beitrag

Hard not to take negatively. A mod saying they basically don't trust plugins because support might be dropped doesn't say much for plugins or my work through six major versions of OMV. OMV has dropped support for things like iSCSI (iscsitarget was official OMV) and if OMV dropped support for ext4 and xfs, isn't the same fear you have with plugins dropping support?

I didn't say I wouldn't trust it.. but plugins get dropped, it happens. Volker has dropped several of the "official" ones that were around in the beginning... so this isn't a criticism at all on you. You have to decide where your work is worthwhile, and that is going to mean that sometimes stuff has to be dropped. Nobody is denying the work you've put in all these years. I consider OMV dropping support for iscisi, ext4, xfs, etc.. exactly the same actually. It's all just part of moving forward. Volker dropped (or is dropping) support for them, so I moved on to whatever he's pushing next... in this case it happens to be btrfs.

• No and even if it did, I said in that issue that I would write a plugin to use other filesystems.

Thanks. This message reminded me how much effort and dedication you put in OMV-Extras, making it an actual necessity for OMV users.
    Do you accept donations? My whole OMV setup is based on your plugins, and a lot of my OMV knowledge comes from messages you've written in this forum

OMV BUILD - MY NAS KILLER - OMV 6.x + omvextrasorg (updated automatically every week)

NAS Specs: Core i3-8300 - ASRock H370M-ITX/ac - 16GB RAM - Sandisk Ultra Flair 32GB (OMV), 256GB NVME SSD (Docker Apps), Several HDDs (Data) w/ SnapRAID - Fractal Design Node 304 - Be quiet! Pure Power 11 350W

My all-in-one SnapRAID script!

• so I moved on to whatever he's pushing next... in this case it happens to be btrfs.

I don't think it's as easy as you make it.
    People have lots of data, and when people's data is impacted, everyone gets nervous, me included. You can't simply expect people to wipe their data drives and reformat them. Not everyone has the time, resources or money to move such an amount of data safely.
    I would accept such change only if impacted the boot drive (ignore the technical filesystem considerations, it's just an example) because would simply be backup - reformat - restore of a small partition.
    I'm nobody to say this but by looking at this forum, every user is either running EXT4 (because hey it's the default FS in Linux since years, either with simple software RAID or SnapRAID) or ZFS via its own plugin. I bet the amount of people using BTRFS on OMV is tiny.

OMV BUILD - MY NAS KILLER - OMV 6.x + omvextrasorg (updated automatically every week)

NAS Specs: Core i3-8300 - ASRock H370M-ITX/ac - 16GB RAM - Sandisk Ultra Flair 32GB (OMV), 256GB NVME SSD (Docker Apps), Several HDDs (Data) w/ SnapRAID - Fractal Design Node 304 - Be quiet! Pure Power 11 350W

My all-in-one SnapRAID script!

• Offizieller Beitrag

Do you accept donations? My whole OMV setup is based on your plugins, and a lot of my OMV knowledge comes from messages you've written in this forum

Glad to hear I could help. I added a paypal button to omv-extras.org. I use any donations to pay for hosting, SD cards, and maybe a few beers :)

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!