Unable to mount raid after new installation.

• Hi!
    First off, English is not my main language, but I hope it's not to bad :)

I have an HP Microserver gen8 with two HGST 4Tb drives in raid1 and a single WD red 2Tb drive. I had OMV 3 (something) installed to a USB drive and the system became corrupt so i did an new install of OMV 5 to an SSD. But in order to boot from the SSD i had to move the HGST (raid1) from "port ?" 1 and 2 two 2 and 3, if it affects this?

The installation went fine and i can see all the drives i disks, i can see the raid1 in raid management, both the single WD red and the raid1 show up in file systems, but i´m only able to mount the single WD red, the mount button on the raid1 is grayed out.

After searching around in the forums, and om other sites on the internet i did find 1 thread i the OMV forum whit an similar case, but i´m an toddler (noob) to this so i thought it was better to be safe than sorry.

1 "cat /proc/mdstat"

2 "blkid"

3 "fdisk -l | grep "Disk ""

4 "cat /etc/mdadm/mdadm.conf"

5 "mdadm --detail --scan --verbose"

• Offizieller Beitrag

I have all the data in other places,

The reason I asked about a backup a similar problem came up recently and all the user's data was lost attempting to get his Raid running and he had no backup.

Your Raid is coming up as auto read only, a simple command might get it back to active.

The mdadm conf is missing a reference to the Raid, as is blkid, but for some reason fdisk displays it.

Also what's the output of cat /etc/fstab if that shows no reference to your Raid then you could be fighting an uphill battle to get it running again as so much could go wrong.

• The reason I asked about a backup a similar problem came up recently and all the user's data was lost attempting to get his Raid running and he had no backup.
    Your Raid is coming up as auto read only, a simple command might get it back to active.

The mdadm conf is missing a reference to the Raid, as is blkid, but for some reason fdisk displays it.

Also what's the output of cat /etc/fstab if that shows no reference to your Raid then you could be fighting an uphill battle to get it running again as so much could go wrong.

I will try it as soon as I get some time after work.

• Here is the output

• There's no reference to your Raid in fstab either, what version of OMV have you moved from.

Unfortunately I do not know exactly, but I think 3 something. The server has not been used for some time, since children and moved to a house and renovations.
    But I can try to find out about it in some way, using the old USB memory. If it would help?

*Edit*
    It was 3 something.

• Hello, have you tried to eject and format the HDD?

But pls take care, do backup first or you will lose all your data.

The last time I saw eclipse I was programming :thumbup:

• Offizieller Beitrag

Unfortunately I do not know exactly, but I think 3 something. The server has not been used for some time

Rather going through what the other user did I would suggest start again and restore from backup, or we try a few options knowing that you have your data and see what happens. If it fails you've lost nothing other than the time taken to try and get it running, then start again, the other user did not have a backup.

• Offizieller Beitrag

If you got the time I would like to try save the raid.

If you have a backup that's fine;

mdadm --stop /dev/md127
    mdadm --readwrite /dev/md127
    update-initramfs -u
    cat /proc/mdstat

if the raid comes back up as active there are two more commands to run, anything fails then it may be a losing battle.

• Now I have tried what you wrote and get the following results.

mdadm --stop /dev/md127 = mdadm --stop /dev/md127 and the raid disappear from raid management

mdadm --readwrite /dev/md127 = mdadm: error opening /dev/md127: No such file or directory

update-initramfs -u = Generating /boot/initrd.img-5.3.0-0.bpo.2-amd64 nothing happens what i can see

cat /proc/mdstat = Personalities : [linear] [multipath] [raid0] [raid1] [raid6] [raid5] [raid4] [raid10] unused devices: <none>

The raid disappear from raid management as i wrote, but it still appears under file systems. After a reboot the raid is back under raid management.

• Offizieller Beitrag

If the raid shows after a reboot is the output of cat /proc/mdstat the same as your first post?

This is looking similar to the other thread.

When using the command line don't concern yourself with the GUI, stopping the raid allows you to execute the mdadm --readwrite if the array was not stopped it would error and tell you it's busy. The readwrite error I believe is down to missing raid information in the mdadm conf file.

OK you could try these two first;
    omv-salt deploy run mdadm
    omv-salt deploy run fstab

each one takes about 30 secs to complete, if they complete without an error, reboot, then look at cat /proc/mdstat again, then cat /etc/mdadm/mdadm.conf

• cat /proc/mdstat Gives me the same output now as then.

No errors whit omv-salt mdadm/fstab, 5 succeeded, 3 changed and 3 succeeded and 1 changed.

No changes whit cat /proc/mdstat after reboot.
    mdadm.conf after reboot

• Well it's created a raid entry but without a reference i.e. /dev/md127 or /dev/md0

Try the readwrite command again, stop the array first then post the output of cat /proc/mdstat

I stopped the array first and tried the readwrite command again whit the same error as before

I think I did it in the right order?

Output of cat /proc/mdstat

• mdadm --assemble went fine. I guess? :)

• Offizieller Beitrag

mdadm --assemble went fine. I guess?

Looks as if it has, I would run update-initramfs -u but it's odd that mdadm conf has not changed to /dev/md127 but not an issue. The raid should now display under Raid Management, and check fstab again.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!