Decreasing wear on sd cards in Raspberry Pi.

• Running OMV 5 on Raspberry Pi 4. I would like to decrease the wear and tear of the micro sd card so I won't have to replace it soon. I have an usb 3 mechanical hard drive attached so it is possible to change the swap file there or I should disable it altogether. Thanks. Also, does the flashmemory-plugin in OMV work at all for this? Thanks.

• Offizieller Beitrag

does the flashmemory-plugin in OMV work at all for this?

The flashmemory plugin moves the heavy writes to ram. The SD card should last a long time if you get a good quality card. If you are swapping a lot, then you probably shouldn't use an RPi.

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Offizieller Beitrag

I agree, a OMV NAS running on a RPI4 shouldn't really need any swap at all.

That said, I assume that you already have tried to manually create a swap partition on some drive, mount it in fstab and activate swap with swapon. How did that work?

• I've run my OMV in both 8GB and 16GB of RAM without any swap and never had a problem.

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=244130

Thanks for replying. I ran free-m command and it turns out that it was using 100mb of swap file. This was installed by default when putting in the raspian buster's image and I don't need it because I got the 4gb version of the rpi4. According to this thread in rpi's forums, I was able to disable and remove the swap file partition using this command. Thanks for replying.

sudo dphys-swapfile swapoff && \
    sudo dphys-swapfile uninstall && \
    sudo update-rc.d dphys-swapfile remove

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!