Plex doesn't see files on an ext HDD

• I have OMV 5 installed on a Raspberry Pi 4 and Plex was installed through Portainer according to this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CzMSuRyfMS0.Everything went well apart from the fact that Plex doesn’t see the files that are in the Movie and Music folders that were set up on an external drive. I can see the files when connected through Putty, but Plex shows that the libraries are empty. Reading around, I'm pretty sure I need to change permissions, but because I'm still a noob, I don't know what to change. Any help will be much appreciated.

• Offizieller Beitrag
    • Did you connect the folder on the host to a folder in docker (volume mapping)?
    • In Plex you first need to create a library and then add a folder to that library.
    • The user that is running the docker should have read access to these folder. If you used the linuxserver image the user is specified by PUID/PGID.
  • Hi macom, thanks for the quick response. To answer your questions:

1. Volume mapping has been set up as per the attached VolumeMapping screenshot.
    2. Movie and Music libraries were added in Plex then folders were found and added to the libraries.
    3. My PUID and PGID are 1000 and 100 respectively, these are shown on the attached EnvSettings screenshot.

I noticed the PLEX_MEDIA_SERVER_USER is set to abc, is that normal?

Thanks

• Running ls-al /srv/dev-disk-by-label-3TBHDD/Media/ I get:

pi@raspberrypi:~ $ ls -al /srv/dev-disk-by-label-3TBHDD/Media/
    total 16
    drwxrwsr-x 4 root users 4096 Jan2 13:38 .
    drwxr-xr-x 9 root root4096 Jan2 13:53 ..
    drwxrwsr-x 2 root users 4096 Jan2 16:53 Movies
    drwxrwsr-x 2 root users 4096 Jan2 14:13 Music

• I would change the ownership recursively to agree with the user:group that Plex runs as.

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• Thanks gderf, the plexmediaserver.service file shows User=plex and Group=plex but when I run:

sudochown -R plex:plex /srv/dev-disk-by-label-3TBHDD/Media/

I get an error saying: chown:invalid user: ‘plex:plex’

When I run: grep plex /etc/passwd I get nothing

Would the solution be to add a plex user and group? If so, what commands should I run to do this properly?

• You could add plex:plex, but it would be better practice to have Plex run as another ordinary user that has control of the files Plex will be looking at.

Why not create a new user on the system andrew:users and have the Plex container run as that user:group.

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!