Portainer keeps restarting - can't open web interface

• I've just done a fresh install of OMV 5 over the latest Debian install and using instructions from TechnoDadLife and this install script:

Code
    apt-get install wget sudo

wget -O - https://github.com/OpenMediaVault-Plugin-Developers/installScript/raw/master/install | sudo bash

I'm trying to get Docker and Portainer up so I can install Plex but Portainer keeps restarting. Network connections seem fine (I'm able to apt-get and upgrade) but not sure what's going on. Image of my OMV-Extras Settings below.

Here are the Docker logs for the Portainer container:

Code
    2020/01/12 05:08:12 Templates already registered inside the database. Skipping template import.
    2020/01/12 05:08:12 listen tcp 0.0.0.0:8000: socket: permission denied
    2020/01/12 05:08:12 server: Reverse tunnelling enabled
    2020/01/12 05:08:12 server: Fingerprint c2:6f:de:78:7b:8b:af:84:b9:25:08:8d:bf:1b:39:81
    2020/01/12 05:08:12 server: Listening on 0.0.0.0:8000...
    2020/01/12 05:09:13 [WARN] [exec,extensions] [message: unable to retrieve extensions manifest via Internet. Extensions will be retrieved from local cache and might not be up to date] [err: Get https://portainer-io-assets.sfo2.digitaloceanspaces.com/extensions-1.23.0.json: dial tcp: lookup portainer-io-assets.sfo2.digitaloceanspaces.com on 8.8.8.8:53: dial udp 8.8.8.8:53: socket: permission denied]

TS140 70A4 - Xeon E3-1225V3 3.2 GHz - 4 GB ECC RAM - 5 WD Red 3 TB HDD

2 Mal editiert, zuletzt von diznanl ()

• You should not have Portainer set to restart always, at least not until you find out why it seems to be doing this. So check that.

/var/lib/docker for a Docker base path is not exactly a good idea. It's on the rootfs and if your system drive is small and your dockers were allowed to run wild in there it might fill up the disk.

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• You should not have Portainer set to restart always, at least not until you find out why it seems to be doing this. So check that.

/var/lib/docker for a Docker base path is not exactly a good idea. It's on the rootfs and if your system drive is small and your dockers were allowed to run wild in there it might fill up the disk.

Thanks ... I read that somewhere, but I'm still trying to figure out where I can found the base path of the Docker folder I created.

I also posted my Docker logs for Portainer:

Code
    2020/01/12 05:08:12 Templates already registered inside the database. Skipping template import.
    2020/01/12 05:08:12 listen tcp 0.0.0.0:8000: socket: permission denied
    2020/01/12 05:08:12 server: Reverse tunnelling enabled
    2020/01/12 05:08:12 server: Fingerprint c2:6f:de:78:7b:8b:af:84:b9:25:08:8d:bf:1b:39:81
    2020/01/12 05:08:12 server: Listening on 0.0.0.0:8000...
    2020/01/12 05:09:13 [WARN] [exec,extensions] [message: unable to retrieve extensions manifest via Internet. Extensions will be retrieved from local cache and might not be up to date] [err: Get https://portainer-io-assets.sfo2.digitaloceanspaces.com/extensions-1.23.0.json: dial tcp: lookup portainer-io-assets.sfo2.digitaloceanspaces.com on 8.8.8.8:53: dial udp 8.8.8.8:53: socket: permission denied]

• I found the correct path to install Docker in ... srv/[myraidarray]/Docker

... still no luck with Portainer and the constant restarting

• I found the correct path to install Docker in ... srv/[myraidarray]/Docker

... still no luck with Portainer and the constant restarting

What restart policy is set for it?

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• What restart policy is set for it?

I'm not sure ... I just used OMV Extras to install. No option to set restart policy there. I can check using Docker CLI if I poke around and figure it out

• So the new kernel was the issue:
    5:19.03.5~3-0~debian-buster

Reverting to Debian GNU/Linux, with Linux 4.19.0-6-amd64 fixed the issue with Portainer.

• I have the same problem with Portainer. With standard-kernel (4.19) everything runs fine but with Proxmox-kernel v5.3.13-2-pve (latest one) Portainer keeps restarting everytime (by installing via omv-extras).

@ryecoaaron
    As I can see in your signature you're using the Proxmox-kernel too, aren't you? Is Portainer working on your setup (with Proxmox kernel)?
    Do you have any clue why Portainer is not working with the Proxmox kernel?

OMV-Server-HW: MoBo Fujitsu D3417-B2 (Intel-LAN), Intel Xeon E3-1245 v6 Kaby Lake (4x3.70GHz), 16GB-Ram ECC UDIMM, 1x512GB SSD Samsung 850 Pro (sda2 - 30GB system, 4GB swap, sda5/rest - for work), 1x 10TB WD Red Pro, 1x 3TB WD Red (both basic setup) - Digibit R1 Sat-IP-Server with SatIP-Axe-Firmware

OMV-Server-SW: Debian Buster with Proxmox kernel (always up-to-date), OMV v5 (always latest), omv-extras-plugin (always latests), AutoShutdown-Plugin, Docker with PlexMediaServer, TVHeadend, any many more

BackupServer: Synology DS1010+ with 4GB Ram, 9TB@SHR (different hdd's), DSM 5.2-5967-2

• Offizieller Beitrag

As I can see in your signature you're using the Proxmox-kernel too, aren't you? Is Portainer working on your setup (with Proxmox kernel)?
    Do you have any clue why Portainer is not working with the Proxmox kernel?

I don't use portainer so I wouldn't have noticed but I just checked and it is working fine. I just rebooted to see if that changed anything and it is still working fine.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• I just rebooted to see if that changed anything and it is still working fine

Really curious. Here on my system (signature) it's not working.
    In the evening I will try to install Portainer by hand to see where the problem is.

OMV-Server-HW: MoBo Fujitsu D3417-B2 (Intel-LAN), Intel Xeon E3-1245 v6 Kaby Lake (4x3.70GHz), 16GB-Ram ECC UDIMM, 1x512GB SSD Samsung 850 Pro (sda2 - 30GB system, 4GB swap, sda5/rest - for work), 1x 10TB WD Red Pro, 1x 3TB WD Red (both basic setup) - Digibit R1 Sat-IP-Server with SatIP-Axe-Firmware

OMV-Server-SW: Debian Buster with Proxmox kernel (always up-to-date), OMV v5 (always latest), omv-extras-plugin (always latests), AutoShutdown-Plugin, Docker with PlexMediaServer, TVHeadend, any many more

BackupServer: Synology DS1010+ with 4GB Ram, 9TB@SHR (different hdd's), DSM 5.2-5967-2

• Offizieller Beitrag

I will try to install Portainer by hand to see where the problem is.

I doubt this line is causing the problem. I'm guessing the volume has corrupt data in it. I would remove portainer from the web interface and the delete the volume (docker volume rm portainer_data). Then I would re-install from the web interface.

• Offizieller Beitrag

OMV 4.5.1

I can usually tell what version a person means but I have no idea on this one.

I'm curious the solution you find.

If you are using OMV 5.x, did you try the suggestion I offered?

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

• I doubt this line is causing the problem. I'm guessing the volume has corrupt data in it. I would remove portainer from the web interface and the delete the volume (docker volume rm portainer_data). Then I would re-install from the web interface.

I did a fresh installation of Debian 10 on my system drive. Before I formatted the drive with zeros to be sure everything is "clean". I did this kind of installation twice but the problem with Portainer still remains.

Somewhere in the internet I found this (terminal-)command:

Code
    docker run -d --name=portainer -p 9000:9000 --privileged --restart=always -v /var/run/docker.sock:/var/run/docker.sock -v portainer_data:/data portainer/portainer -H unix:///var/run/docker.sock

and this worked. Portainer is up and also shows up on OMV-gui

I think it has something to do with the permission of the "admin"-user. Without the "--privileged" command Portainer doesn't start

• Offizieller Beitrag

Did you change the docker path? I don’t and portainer has always worked fine without the privileged flag.

• Did you change the docker path? I don’t and portainer has always worked fine without the privileged flag.

No, I didn't. As I wrote before, with the standard kernel everything is ok. Only problems with the proxmox kernel.

The next problem is that I have created a Plex container (docker compose) but it also doesn't start.
    Till I found out by adding the privileged option (mode) Plex started as normal.

It looks like that there're permission problems. Maybe it has something to do with the proxmox kernel or with the way of installing OMV (via Debian 10 netinst).

• Somewhere in the internet I found this (terminal-)command:

docker run -d --name=portainer -p 9000:9000 --privileged --restart=always -v /var/run/docker.sock:/var/run/docker.sock -v portainer_data:/data portainer/portainer -H unix:///var/run/docker.sock and this worked. Portainer is up and also shows up on OMV-gui

Thanks a lot Huberer, that did the trick for my portainer too!

I can usually tell what version a person means but I have no idea on this one.

LOL, I've been spending so much time working on OpenHab I inserted that version for OMV.

Now, my primary problem started out with OpenHab not running in a Docker after I reinstalled it. I'm going to try the --privileged flag now.

• @ryecoaaron
    How do you log in the OMV-GUI? Via root or admin?
    Mayby admin doesn‘t have the proper rights to run portainer.
    The container folder under var has root-privileges and admin doesn‘t have access to it.
    I‘ve forgotten to test but maybe adding admin to the docker-group can solve this issue.

Gesendet von iPad mit Tapatalk

• I'm going to try the --privileged flag now.

This shouldn‘t be done because with this flag you have full access to all files and folders (security risk). Running all containers with privileged mode is not a good option.

Gesendet von iPad mit Tapatalk

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!