Older Parts machine build

• Good afternoon!

This is the 3rd system I've built for NAS. It is a re-purposed HP SFF PC with an Intel core 2 Quad chip (Q9505), 8 Gb of DDR2 Ram, an 2.5" mechanical HDD 120Gb that holds the OMV system files and 3 1TB mechanical drives. It is running OMV 4 64bit.

I know this isn't a super efficient build, but I really wanted a machine that had enough SATA ports that i could setup a Raid 5 for hot swapping my cheap used mechanical drives. I mainly use OMV for Samba network shares and a Plex server running through Docker.

I installed OMV4 yesterday and started the Raid 5 setup. The Raid is still re-syncing, but I've pushed about 600GB into it already (as I am going to replace another OMV system built from a laptop with failing drives). (I copied the files using Samba to the new machine)

I finally tried setting up notifications for the first time and all of a sudden i'm seeing a ton of them! I installed Glances to try to get an idea of what is going on and I see that i have two warnings/critical alerts, both ongoing:
    Load (2.9)
    CPU_IOWAIT(92.7)

I compared my performance statistics on my failing OMV setup to this new one and the new one appears to be constantly maxing out Wait-IO (see attachment)

Is this due to the Raid still re-syncing? There are no users connected and I haven't started using the new system yet so there shouldn't be any resource draw on it yet. Any input would be appreciated!

• Offizieller Beitrag

setup a Raid 5 for hot swapping my cheap used mechanical drives.

I take it you are aware that you can't 'hot swap' drives in a software raid.

The Raid is still re-syncing, but I've pushed about 600GB into it already

Interesting, you've copied/moved 600GB of data whilst it's re-syncing.

Is this due to the Raid still re-syncing?

Hopefully, either that or the CPU is failing.

Raid is not a backup! Would you go skydiving without a parachute?

OMV 6x amd64 running on an HP N54L Microserver

• I take it you are aware that you can't 'hot swap' drives in a software raid.

Interesting, you've copied/moved 600GB of data whilst it's re-syncing.

Hopefully, either that or the CPU is failing.

Thanks for the response! I actually didn't think about the Raid being a software Raid... This is the 1st time I've created one, at least i know now!

I was definitely impatient on adding the data during the re-sync, I guess we'll see what happens after that portion completes. If IO wait is still too high after that I might have to do some testing on the CPU.

Thanks again!

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!