Manual install OMV 3 x32 on Debian 10 x32, need working erasmus repositories for sources.list

• I have a NAS fully populated with content, a small proportion of which - on /dev/sda1 is the partition for the OS.
    The standard OMV 3 build will wipe the drive which I cannot allow so I need to install OMV 3 manually.

Debian 10 non PAE i386 is up and running fine with SSH installed. I could install x64 but pointless with 2gb of ram.

I found a tutorial for OMV 4 to do this but I have been unable to get the repositories to work for erasmus, I suspect they no longer exist.
    I use Linux as a light user and not as a developer so I end up googling almost everything when it comes to command line installs as I seldom remember enough.

I have installed and configured it before for others using the full disk scenario but never as a manual critical process.
    Can the knowledgeable ones PLEASE assist me in getting OMV operational as I need access to the content and thus far have wasted an inordinate amount of time simply trying to install OMV !

I could extract OMV 3 to a USB to act as a repository or similar if as I suspect nothing online exists any more, if anyone knows how ?

M :/||

• Offizieller Beitrag

First, OMV 3 and OMV 4 cannot be installed on Debian 10. You need to install OMV 5. Why are you so concerned about OMV 3? It has been EOL for almost 2yrs.

apt-get install wget sudo

Once that is done, run this install command and you'll have an OMV 5 install.

Code
    wget -O - https://github.com/OpenMediaVault-Plugin-Developers/installScript/raw/master/install | sudo bash

Second, I will completely disagree that it is "pointless" to install 64bit vs 32 bit in scenario, due to only havig 2gigs of RAM

• Offizieller Beitrag

Just install OMV4 or OMV5 on a system drive and mount your existing file systems. Create shared folders pointing at your existing folders. You should be able to access your data.

From the sounds of it, he already has Debian 10 installed, so I'm assuming his data is safe. Installing OMV 5 is the quickest way out of this at this point.

• Turns out there is NO_PUBKEY, not signed so wont use the repository.

Its my understanding there is no x32 version of OMV after 3 which is why I want to use it, have in the past successfully.

The NAS has a unicore with 2gb ram and on benchmarking it the x32 is far more efficient than the x64 on this hardware which is why Erasmus.

If I have to take a performance hit with x64 thats one thing but I certainly tried Manual partitioning but the install script still talked about wiping the drive.
    Far to big to back up - i'll re-visit manual partitioning if your'e confident its possible!

• Offizieller Beitrag

You don't need to install OMV to access your data.

Boot the NAS using a Linux USB thumbdrive. Then copy over your data to some safe place. If you can't boot the NAS from a USB stick, move the drive over to a PC and boot that from a USB Linux thumb drive. Or even get a USB dock and use that to access the drive using a Linux system.

Once you have good backups of your data, install a supported version OMV, restore the backups and carry on.

• Offizieller Beitrag

What repository isn't signed? The link I gave you most certainly has a signed repo.

There is no 32bit IMAGE that OMV makes. OMV's package requirements is largely irrelevant to CPU architecture. If you insist on installing OMV 32bit, you have to install Debian first. If you have a 64bit PC, it seems only logical to use 64bit. I'm not so sure why you are so hung up on OMV 3. It has been End of Life for some time.... If you want to stay with 32bit and you have a current Debian 10 minimum install, run the script I gave you above, and you'll have a 32bit OMV 5 install. If you want 64bit, reinstall Debian 10 64 bit, and run the script, and you'll have an OMV 5, 64bit install.

• Adobe; daft statement. It's the offline backups i'm needing to access. Powered up to do backups then off again. Many TB so not a lot of choice in the matter.

wget -O - https://github.com/OpenMediaVa…Script/raw/master/install | sudo bash

x32 failed with copious errors so gave up and installed x64 then repeated the process.
    Now have a working OMV but under Debian only 3/4 of the drives.

Bios sees Master0, Slave0, Master1,Slave1 but debian only sees Master0, Master1,Slave1 .

Ubuntu saw all drives but cant have OMV on Ubuntu and WebMin is not as good as OMV.

Guess where the snapshot I need is !! Not a practical fix to use Boot USB other than to copy it over network elsewhere ~ BIG and limited locations.

Now try to see if ~Debian can be sorted or its back to Ubuntu server + Samba + WebMin which is clunky ~ Failed when update scrambled volume beyond repair.

• Offizieller Beitrag

If you have the originals to the cold backups, or matching hot backups, then you are fine. Just delete the cold backups and install.

If the cold backups are your only copy, then you need to back them up. If you don't have good backups, then you will lose data. Sooner or later.

Sure, it is an expense and it takes time. But you need to consider that you may lose the data at any time. What is that data worth to you. Also if you had good backups you wouldn't have to spend time here and bother about trying to preserve a partition on the system drive. You could just install and carry on. But I accept that you consider the data to be not sufficiently valuable to motivate purchase of a big new drive. And also valuable enough so you are willing to spend a lot of time trying to avoid deleting it. I think you are wrong, and you can feel free to think I am wrong.

Yet another option, something of a compromise, is to buy a cheap and small drive that is only intended for the OMV system. Then swap drives. Use the old drive as an external drive only for cold backups. Either with a dock or with a powered USB enclosure. Or, if you have free sata ports, in the NAS. Later you can remove the rootfs partition and expand the backup partition. Install a supported version of OMV on the new drive.

You could perhaps even install OMV on a USB stick and boot OMV from the stick. Then you could leave the drive where it is. And carry on using it for backups. Just update boot sequence in bios.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!