OMV 5.05 unable to FTP from LAN

• So I used the Noob Guide to Enabling FTP and am unable to FTP into OMV 5.05 at all. From every login attempted within my network, I get a connection refused error. I've reinstalled, and reconfigured OMV at least 8 times in the past 14 days, with no luck getting FTP to work with any documented configuration I could find.

I -am- using it as a VM, running on top of Hyper-V 2019 Server (Gen1, 16Gb ram, 4 vcpu) with multiple other VM's operating just fine.

Is it possible this is a result of using 5.05? I noticed in the OMV-Version selection for this thread that it says 5.x is in beta, but 4.x is current release. When I double checked the sourceforge download links, 5.05 is not listed as beta.

I was able to get CIFS/SMB to work, and it was accessible from my windows laptops, but I noticed that any subfolders I created, I couldn't delete. I had to search for instructions how to delete from the console, which took me close to half hour. I have near zero experience with anything linux based, so everything I've tried has come form these forums for instructions, and I've made sure to double check absolutely everything as I do them. I was told that OMV would be one of the easiest and fastest NAS setups I could use, with very low resource requirements, but so far it's been nothing but frustration for me :(

Even though I have CIFS/SMB working, I prefer to transfer my project files on my lan by FTP if I can because of the much lower overhead, and faster transfer times for 4-10GB sized files. Security is not an issue because this server is not accessible outside my LAN in any fashion.

Any ideas for me?

(unrelated: I'm also getting forum errors trying to set the Thread OMV-Version to OMV 5.x
    Error Message
    The server encountered an unresolvable problem, please try again later.
    Exception ID: bd80a971cfb7fc7ea8978fdb3278957215e8c512
    )

• All I have is a web gui, and a login prompt I cant get past because it doesnt seem to recognize the password I keep setting every time I reinstall this thing. How do I use SSH to do a telnet port test from this?

• Let me reiterate this: the password set during installation is not working for anything- and has not worked for 8 reinstallation attempts, so all I have access to is the web gui.

• Let me reiterate this: the password set during installation is not working for anything- and has not worked for 8 reinstallation attempts, so all I have access to is the web gui.

If after setting the root password and confirming it eight times you must be doing something wrong.

In case you are not aware of this, the default behavior of the SSH server is to not allow root logins. It will also not allow logins from any users not in the ssh group. This can be changed, but it is up to you to do so. Does any of this apply to you?

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• Zitat von gderf

..the default behavior of the SSH server is to not allow root logins. It will also not allow logins from any users not in the ssh group. This can be changed, but it is up to you to do so. Does any of this apply to you?

I did not know this. It probably does apply to me. How do I unlock SSH access if it's disabled by default and my root password apparently doesn't work 30 seconds after installation completes?

Linux in general is turning out to be an even bigger headache than I was led to believe...

• First off, exactly how are you trying to use the root password? Where are you trying to enter it? Describe the screen.

To enable root login via ssh got to this screen in the WebGUi:

Services | SSH

Then push the slider for "Specifies whether it is allowed to login as superuser." to the right, turning it green. Then press the Save button, then Apply the changes when prompted.

--

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• I was trying to use Putty, since my hyper-v console screen apparently cuts off the bottom 15-20 lines of text and I cant see any menu options or prompts when the screen fills up with text.

I was getting the "Server login: " prompt right after installation completion and couldn't get anywhere.

checking the SSH screen shows that the 'login as superuser' option is enabled by default

• I was trying to use Putty, since my hyper-v console screen apparently cuts off the bottom 15-20 lines of text and I cant see any menu options or prompts when the screen fills up with text.

checking the SSH screen shows that the 'login as superuser' option is enabled by default

I have been using this product since v2.x - five years - and this has never been the case.

I don't have any other suggestions. If you really have root logins enabled and can't login as root via a console or ssh, then something is seriously broken.

I am still not convinced that this isn't user error of some sort.

--

• I erased the entire VM and reloaded it again, and the first thing I looked at was the "login as superuser", and it was turned on - green.

as soon as I turned on FTP and tried applying the settings, every time I hit apply for any options I changed in FTP, I got proftp error messages.

I think I'm going to go down to the 4.13 release and hope for something different.

• I have another OMV5.05 working few days, and today I've installed sFTP and FTP, but I have the same problem with user/pass. I tried to update password, share forder permissions with the same results.

Finally, I have disable the FTP and only is enabled sFTP
    I've checked also the service is working, but when I try to logging into with WinSCP or other sFTP client, the server reject the connection with "password error"

The sFTP is working, allways in green <X

OMV 5.2.3.2
    Motherboard: X79 Dual Cpu Lga2011
    CPU: 16x Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2689 0 @ 2.60GHz
    RAM: 2x32GB DDR3/ECC @1866 Mhz (max 256GB)
    O.S. HD: M2 Sata 256GB
    NAS HD: Seagate 2.7TB
    For testing before real install. :D

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!