OMV on Qnap 451+

• Hello all.
    I am looking at installing OMV (maybe Debian first on this qnap.

I read this post but it's pretty old to start replying to and most of the other qnap posts where for different models.

https://forum.openmediavault.o…ghlight=ts-451#post139753

ryecoaaron had it installed but had to replace the usb flash header card. Is the a needed step? I have been researching this for about a week and saw another post suggesting to just install grub on the dom to get around the size limitations and then install Debian on the actual hard drive? Any experience with this?

My hard drives are too big for raid 5 (I manage to loose one a year and am currently also having troubles rebuilding my array. It looks like raid may not be the best solution anyore due to URE and the disk sizes we have). QNAP software is built around raid so setting things to single disc mode makes a lot of other things really hard and snapraid seems perfect for my media center.

• Offizieller Beitrag

looking at the specs on Amazon, it's just a 64bit computer. Assuming that is the case and you can boot a flash drive, just install OMV onto a 16gig flash drive, make sure the flash memory plugin is installed, and boot that flash drive and see what happens.

• Offizieller Beitrag

It definitely is a regular computer with a bios that you can select the boot drive. I did replace the usb header disk (had system open for ram upgrade anyway) and run the system for years but I just recently plugged in 16gb usb3 stick for the OS. I ended up wiping the usb header drive so it could never boot.

omv 7.0-32 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.9 | compose 7.0.9 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• It definitely is a regular computer with a bios that you can select the boot drive. I did replace the usb header disk (had system open for ram upgrade anyway) and run the system for years but I just recently plugged in 16gb usb3 stick for the OS. I ended up wiping the usb header drive so it could never boot

I definitely don't want to render my device not bootable. Do you remember how you wiped he header so I can avoid that? I read while googling this topic someone saying that just disconnected the header and that forced it to boot from the USB drive. This might have the added benefit of protecting it from me.

I am assuming based on these posts that installing and running the system direct for a USB device is the best way to go?

I have a usb 3 stick. I assume that would give me the best performance (rather than a usb 2 device.)

• Offizieller Beitrag

From the bios screen, you can select which device to boot. The first time I did this, I installed OMV. The second time was to boot the new OMV install. And while I used wipefs
    from the command line, you could wipe the disk from the web interface in the physical disks tab.

Usb install works great. If you weren’t going to use all four bays, sata would be good too. Just install the flashmemory plugin if you use a usb stick. I ran mine for over 5 years on the old stick. It was still working when I upgraded. Just wanted more space than 8gb.

Performance doesn’t really matter with the OS drive. The web interface might be a small but faster but data should be on data drives which are fast.

omv 7.0-32 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.9 | compose 7.0.9 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• I get what your saying now. You wiped the one inside on purpose to force it to boot off the larger usb drive you had. The USB 3 was just what you had but the main point was the larger space. Any performance boost was just a bonus.

Is that pretty accurate?

If so, this seems better than my original plan of installing the OS to the hard drive. If I hose my install while learning OMV, i just wipe the USB drive and start over without worrying about formatting anything important. And I can make an easy backup of the whole OS.

I've been using Debian for the past 15 years so I'm pretty familiar with that but running it as a headless server will be new to me.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I don't think you'd really "have" to format the internal drive unless you never had intention of using it again. You should be able to boot the OMV flash drive no matter what is on the drive. Again assuming it is a normal computer BIOS, just set the boot sequence to have USB first... and your USB will always boot first, before the internal drive.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!