OMV restore, Clonezilla and Gparted live CD

• Hello,

I do not know how many of you are using H2 with OpenMediaVault (OMV), but I am and recently I had some weird issues. OMV has a backup plugin that uses either dd to create a backup image of the installation or fsarchiver. It also has the possibility to boot once into Clonezilla, Gparted or SystemRescueCD to perform a restore or more. I recently had to reinstall OMV because I had a backup that I could not restore anymore. I searched for a proper way to do a backup and I ran across a plugin that uses dd or fsarchiver.

My main issue is that if I set my H2 to boot once into Clonezilla, Gparted or SystemRescueCD I get a black screen (all done from within OMV). There is no error on screen, I even tried using a monitor instead of the TV (that is conveniently closer to my H2), but it did not work. I then tried to boot Gparted or SystemRescueCD using an USB stick that I made with the recommended tools (RUFUS and some other tools that can write an ISO to a USB stick and make the USB stick bootable). I managed to get SystemRescueCD to boot only with the latest versio or RUFUS (3.8) after about an hour or debugging why my H2 does not boot from a stick that is working on other systems (that do not boot from UEFI only). That bootable USB stick is booting from UEFI on some other systems, only H2 is stubborn enough to not boot.

Please help, I want to understand what I am doing wrong. I have a multiboot stick with several tools, ISO (Linux, Windows) that does not boot at all (I had to use an old USB stick to make it work). This multiboot UEFI capable USB stick works on other systems (again, booting from UEFI). What can I do to have it booting without so much trouble?

Riddle me this, riddle me that
    Who is afraid of the big, black bat?
    I write on a blog (Romanian mostly)
    Testing (latest) OMV 6.x (HURRAY) on an Intel i5820K NAS (currently with proxmox kernel 6.2)

• Offizieller Beitrag

It is possible the ISOs don't work on efi. I haven't tested. I will have to give it a try. Helpful info would be booting your machine and telling me if what you see when you see the grub menu and if it works when you select one of the ISOs to boot from.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• ryecoaaron: I did that and I was able to see the grub menu and all the software I have installed. None of them booted, I just got a black screen. I am on the latest OMV 4.x.

Testing (latest) OMV 6.x (HURRAY) on an Intel i5820K NAS (currently with proxmox kernel 6.2)

• Offizieller Beitrag

Ok. That means the ISO and/or boot methods don't like your system and/or EFI. Clonezilla I can't fix because newer versions don't support pre-configured networking. I could update the versions of gparted-live and systemrescuecd but I was hoping not too on omv-extras 4.x. Can you try booting systemrescuecd 6.0.4? I will still see if EFI in a VM reproduces this but I will have to install OMV 4.x in a VM with EFI.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

• Offizieller Beitrag

Bad news... systemrescue 5.2.2 and clonezilla installed by the latest OMV 4.x boot fine on an EFI VM. So, I don't have a good way to test anything.

• I only wanted to boot GParted to partition a new HDD and it turned out to be a bigger issue than I thought. I will keep on using that working USB stick with SystemRescueCD that is working now (6.0.5, I guess, because this is the latest available one that worked for me). But please try to spend some time on this too. I thought I could use the integrated tools that OMV is offering and I was surprised to find out they are not working. I can help with debugging on my H2 that can only boot UEFI.

• Offizieller Beitrag

But please try to spend some time on this too. I thought I could use the integrated tools that OMV is offering and I was surprised to find out they are not working.

I have. These are just conveniences of not having to plugin a usb stick. They aren't integrated tools. omv-extras just downloads the ISO and adds an entry to grub. If that doesn't boot on specific systems, I can't do custom things for every efi system. If you can provide info that works on your system and doesn't break other systems, I will add it but I think my time is better spent on OMV 5.x since you can boot from a systemrescuecd usb stick.

• You should add SystemRescueCD 6.0.5 as this is the version that booted on my H2. I did not test Clonezilla or Gparted latest available versions now.

• Offizieller Beitrag

You should add SystemRescueCD 6.0.5

I did for OMV 5.x but not OMV 4.x. SystemRescueCD 6.x requires a bunch of grub changes that I didn't want to do for OMV 4.x.

• If you ever do a test, you should try with a machine that only has UEFI boot, I think this is the issue. I honestly cannot explain why only that version booted on my H2. H2 does not have any other alternative in BIOS, it will always boot UEFI and only that. I hope you can replicate the issue I encountered and find a solution.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!