Can't boot without installation USB

• Hi

I'm new to OMV, but not to Linux in general. I have a problem booting the system without the installation USB plugged in.

I have installed OMV on an old laptop with a built-in SATA drive (which I haven't used as of yet). I've installed OMV on a second USB thumb drive, which was assigned /dev/sdc and the installation USB assigned /dev/sdb during installation. However, after installation, I of course removed the installation USB, and now the USB with OMV installed on is assigned /dev/sdb, which makes it unable to boot. I get a lot of "mdadm: no arrays found in config file or automatically" errors, until it gives up and goes to BusyBox, telling me that /dev/sdc2 does not exist (because I removed the installation USB).

In the middle of all the mdadm errors, I get an error saying: "mdadm: error opening /dev/md?*: No such file or directory".

It boots fine when the installation USB is plugged in during boot.

Any ideas on how to resolve this issue?

• Olivier Cochard-Labbé who was the lead developer for FreeNAS used the same design implementation in Open Media Vault when he
    went on to start work on creation Open Media Vault. He designed it this way to run off a USB drive by default for security reasons.
    Makes it harder to hack root if the operating system boots from a USB stick. I know this sounds lame but its actually quit smart
    a solution. So yes FreeNAS is supposed boot off a USB drive, with the USB drive left in. I suspect OMV works the same way,
    but don't have much experience with OMV yet so still checking this all out.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!