WOL issue

• I recently set up OMV 5 on an AMD system (A75m-itx motherboard). It connects through the onboard Gbit capable NIC. Its an RTL8111E. I have the autoshutdown plugin installed and suspend after set time works.

However I don't know how to wake up the system once it goes into suspend. Since the machine has suspended, I don't see it having an IP address (from my routers list of connected clients). Also it does not advertise any network drives on the routers network.

At first I thought I was doing something wrong in my BIOS setting or my motherboard did not support or some error on my end. But after endlessly looking on the web, I came across this wiki article, which pointed me to a wol application. This application wakes up my OMV system from suspend. So clearly this application sends some "magic packet" which wakes up the system.

Question to the community: How do you wake up your NAS systems once the machine is suspended?

My use case is that I have 5 clients connecting to the SMB share on the network. One is a Ubuntu desktop, W10 laptop, Kodi running on a RPI, one android phone, one iphone.

The phones connect to the SMB share primarily to dump pics on to the SMB share. While I certainly want to suspend the system when not in use, I don't want to always use a command line application to wake up my system and then access the shared drive. Any insights on how to best to wol the system?

• WOL can be triggered in different ways.
    Some advanced routers have it integrated in their WebUI, or you could use an app from your smartphone.

You could also schedule a wake up, there's a plugin for that.

OMV BUILD - MY NAS KILLER - OMV 6.x + omvextrasorg (updated automatically every week)

NAS Specs: Core i3-8300 - ASRock H370M-ITX/ac - 16GB RAM - Sandisk Ultra Flair 32GB (OMV), 256GB NVME SSD (Docker Apps), Several HDDs (Data) w/ SnapRAID - Fractal Design Node 304 - Be quiet! Pure Power 11 350W

My all-in-one SnapRAID script!

• WOL can be triggered in different ways.
    Some advanced routers have it integrated in their WebUI, or you could use an app from your smartphone.

You could also schedule a wake up, there's a plugin for that.

Thanks for the response.

I can trigger through router, or desktop application etc. But those are some extra steps to be accessing a shared network drive. I guess thats the price to pay to be putting the system on suspend.

Scheduling a wake up is a good idea. But my use case is mostly random. Need to access on demand.

• Yes, it's a compromise and I can live with it. Energy in my country is expensive and my (light) use does not justify having a server running for most of the day. If your daily activities are predictable like me (I work 9to5) it's fine. I schedule to turn on the server when I come back home and turn it off when I go to sleep. If I need the server at work, I connect to the VPN Server running on my router and I wake the server up, the whole process takes a minute at most.
    If your router does not support it, you can use a Raspberry Pi.

OMV BUILD - MY NAS KILLER - OMV 6.x + omvextrasorg (updated automatically every week)

NAS Specs: Core i3-8300 - ASRock H370M-ITX/ac - 16GB RAM - Sandisk Ultra Flair 32GB (OMV), 256GB NVME SSD (Docker Apps), Several HDDs (Data) w/ SnapRAID - Fractal Design Node 304 - Be quiet! Pure Power 11 350W

My all-in-one SnapRAID script!

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!