MergerFS slow read speed only on 10G connection

• It's not likely mergerfs per se but how it's being interacted with. Over the years people have reported drastically different performance results from what on the surface appear to be similar setups but clearly aren't. The problem has been tracking down exactly the differences. If you look at the benchmarking examples in the mergerfs docs you can see how drastically the per read/write payload size has on throughput. Unfortunately, mergerfs isn't really in a position to help with apps that may use smaller than idea sizes. Perhaps I could read more than the user asks and cache writes for a time to limit the trips into the kernel but that would increase complexity. It's on my experimentation todo list. Another thing that impacts throughput is the latency. If the latency is higher and the app is serially dispatching requests (which is the norm) then throughput suffers.

Anyway... wrt this situation... could be a number of things. You've got TCP with it's complex behaviors, the network filesystem and it's things, mergerfs and the core drives. If any of the "rhythms" get out of sync it could lead to this.

Tracking it down: if you're able to provide me with some trace logs (using strace) of mergerfs in the middle of a transfer for both the 1Gbps and 10Gbps I can look to see the interactions between Samba? (NFS?) and mergerfs.

How are you testing *exactly*? Try to remove any and all variables. If you have a network filesystem mounted on the client use "dd if=/mnt/cifs/file of=/dev/null bs=1M" kind of thing to remove the local disk from the equation and play with the per block read size to see if that makes a big difference. On the server you can put mergerfs into nullrw mode to remove the underlying drives from the situation. And take a look over the performance tweaking section. If you play with a few settings and see a noticeable difference it might suggest what the true cause is. Also I'd suggest trying a different protocol (FTP, scp, etc.) if you haven't to rule out that as either a cause or catalyst.

https://github.com/trapexit/mergerfs#nullrw
    https://github.com/trapexit/mergerfs#performance-tweaking

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!