Share Local (ROOT) drive folder

• OMV 5.x (beta)

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Share Local (ROOT) drive folder

New

Hi,

Is there a way to share out a folder on the root drive? Something like /pub?

In this case I know I'm doing something weird. I'm running proxmox under the hood and letting it manage zfs. I'm running OMV in a LXC container with bind mounts to share up a ZFS dataset with OMV. I'd like very much to have OMV manage SMB/CIFs/NFS shares here.

If there isn't an official way, is there a way to force it?

I'm on the latest version of OMV from the repo (usul)
    • New

Yes this can be done, but OMV will not allow the root drive to be selected, so you have to cobble it together by hand.

I can't speak to NFS but for SMB/CIFS you can put the statements needed into the OMV | SMB/CIFS | Extra Options box.

For example, to SMB/CIFS share out the entire rootfs put the following into that box. Adjust share name and pathing as needed. (This is highly NOT recommended) <----- Read this again!

[rootfs]
      guest ok = yes
      writable = yes
      public = yes
      path = /
      force user = root
      --
      Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

RAID - Its ability to disappoint is inversely proportional to the user's understanding of it.

ASRock Rack C2550D4I C0 Stepping - 16GB ECC - Silverstone DS380
    • New

Well I was still hoping to get the benefits of users/groups/permissions. Otherwise I could install samba on proxmox and manually config that.

Is there a way just to get a folder to show up as a share?

Also, ROOT in subject is in reference to that filesystem, vs some disk managed by OMV. I'm in no way intending to share out '/'

The post was edited 2 times, last by soapee01 ().

• New

Asking for what is essentially an unsupported workaround means you will have to things yourself under the hood.

You asked how to get a folder on the rootfs to show up as a SMB/CIFS share on your network. I showed you.

If you want to SMB/CIFS share out a directory named pub that is on your rootfs, then change what I gave you to match your needs.

Source Code

1. [pub]
      2. guest ok = yes
      3. writable = yes
      4. public = yes
      5. path = /pub
      6. force user = some.user.that.exists.on.your.machine
      --
      Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

RAID - Its ability to disappoint is inversely proportional to the user's understanding of it.

ASRock Rack C2550D4I C0 Stepping - 16GB ECC - Silverstone DS380