Best way to Auto-Mount .iso files

• What is the best way to mount .iso files stored in a Shared Folder so that I can add them as an NFS Share? I'm hoping the solution will survive a reboot and also not get wiped out during an upgrade.

The only thread I could find mentioning this topic was to not do this since the commenters couldn't imagine a use case. My use case is that I run a PXE Boot server which lets me boot new machines attached to the network at which point I can select from a dozen OS distributions that can be installed across the network from NFS shares of their mounted .iso install files.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Just a note that you can pxe boot a lot of ISO files. No need to mount them. I have done this for many ISOs.

There is no way to do this from the web interface but you could:

Add a shared folder to disk d1 called isos

from command line make a directory mkdir /srv/dev-disk-by-label-d1/isos/iso1

Then manually add a line to /etc/fstab (after the openmediavault tags) like:
    /path/to/iso/file /srv/dev-disk-by-label-d1/isos/iso1 auto loop 0 0

This will mount the iso on reboot. To mount it now, just do a mount -a

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Thanks, that works for me.

• Well, yes, that works and I have used it before.

In fact I have used it with my own PXE/BootP Boot server which I had a blog a while back describing how I achieved it as it allowed you to boot not only a number of Linux installers and a Network based Linux Desktop but also Windows installations (XP and 7 at the time).

Thing is that solution doesn't really work for newer Windows, but that's not why I am writing here.

I am writing here because in my opinion we should have, together with the tftp server plugin and others that help create a boot server, a plugin that would enable you to add and remove ISO mounts to a separate mount folder (that can be used with tftp, NFS or other requirements that may be needed) directly from our lovely OpenMediaVault Dashboard.

I don't believe this would be too hard to implement, and in fact I have been looking at the DIY plugin development guide but sadly that one is for OMV5 and me, a fool, am running OMV6 for which I am yet to find similar documentation or at least documentation pointing out the differences between both versions so I could use that guide and adapt it to OMV6.

I must say I have not dedicated a lot of time to this research, so if you have any links to the needed documentation please share them with me. I may not have a lot of spare time these days, though I will pursue this although it may be slow due to the time constraints. If someone else puts this up in the meantime good, otherwise it may end up being me :)

So again, if you can share the links to OMV6 plugin development guides and/or OMV6 API reference that would be awesome!

Thanks for your time reading this nutters message!

WSkinny

• Offizieller Beitrag

if you can share the links to OMV6 plugin development guides and/or OMV6 API reference that would be awesome!

Neither exist but if you write the backend based off the OMV 5 guide, the frontend is pretty easy just by looking at existing plugins - https://github.com/OpenMediaVault-Plugin-Developers I can answer questions as well.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!