OMV 5 new behavior

• Offizieller Beitrag

Hi all!

I'm doing an early test of OMV 5.2.3-2 through an upgrade from version 4. I've been able to see a few issues along the upgrade and was able to fix them all, but something caught my attention.

When creating my bond (I use 802.3ad LACP) I noticed that the MAC address gets auto-generated, instead of deriving it from the 1st NIC. Here's a snapshot I grabbed from iLO:

The newly generated MAC is highlighted. I don't actually see any ill side-effect with this, other than the IP changing for those that use DHCP and maybe those that prefer to use the physical MAC (like me).

Does anyone knows if this is by design and expected?

• Offizieller Beitrag

Quick look at the code, looks like it should be using the mac address of the primary adapter. Not sure why it isn’t. I don’t see anywhere that would generate a mac address.

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Offizieller Beitrag

I know right? Is so bizarre, I don't even know where to start on trying to figure this out.

As you said, I don't see where it would generate this or even why.

I did see an impact that this would have for me, and that's when using WOL. The app I use wouldn't be able to determine if the server is up since it has use the the physical MAC to power it up. I got scripts on another server that checks those things and powers it up to RSYNC files from one to the other, this will be a challenge.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I'll have to install a fresh VM to see if I can test this on a VM.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

• Offizieller Beitrag

From what I can tell on my test VM, this is a behavior of systemd-networkd. A new mac address isn't stored anywhere in OMV-controlled config files.

• Offizieller Beitrag

This is probably the expected behavior for systemd-networkd. Since OMV 4.x didn't use systemd-networkd, I'm not sure if it is a new default.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!