Any way to create a docker-compose.yml from installed containers?

• If you use filesystem labels,

Sorry, what do you understand by that. Would you be so kind and post an example. Thanks in advance

OMV-Server-HW: MoBo Fujitsu D3417-B2 (Intel-LAN), Intel Xeon E3-1245 v6 Kaby Lake (4x3.70GHz), 16GB-Ram ECC UDIMM, 1x512GB SSD Samsung 850 Pro (sda2 - 30GB system, 4GB swap, sda5/rest - for work), 1x 10TB WD Red Pro, 1x 3TB WD Red (both basic setup) - Digibit R1 Sat-IP-Server with SatIP-Axe-Firmware

OMV-Server-SW: Debian Buster with Proxmox kernel (always up-to-date), OMV v5 (always latest), omv-extras-plugin (always latests), AutoShutdown-Plugin, Docker with PlexMediaServer, TVHeadend, any many more

BackupServer: Synology DS1010+ with 4GB Ram, 9TB@SHR (different hdd's), DSM 5.2-5967-2

• Sorry, what do you understand by that. Would you be so kind and post an example. Thanks in advance

yes and no ^^
    in my case i use symlinks - and name them everytime the same ;)

@Huberer Symlinks is just an plugin you will find in OMV - its like share folders for the local system, so i just link my drives to /media like: /media/ssd/ or media/nas1/ etc. pp. in this way you don't have to type /srv/dev-disk-by-.... all the time - a /media/nas1/ is tipped ways faster, and, i know what it is without thinking about it. its like most thinks in - much ways go to rom ;)

• I know about TABs @macom ;) I work a lot with CLI :thumbup:
    But as I saw on different guides for docker-compose some are mixing the paths. Like /srv/dev-disk-by-label/xxx and /sharedfolders/xxx
    I read somewhere that paths with /srv/dev-xxx should be more stable than /sharedfolders/xxxx

@draddy
    I know what symlinks are but didn't work with it. I also didn't know about the plugin (shame on me).

What I do with my containers and compose-files is to copy them. So when I do a fresh installation, I create the same folder structure again under OMV. Put the compose-files to a special folder, run them to create the container. Stop the container, delete the new one and replace it with the backup. Of course I've to change permissions and owner. With that I don't face any problems.

OMV-Server-HW: MoBo Fujitsu D3417-B2 (Intel-LAN), Intel Xeon E3-1245 v6 Kaby Lake (4x3.70GHz), 16GB-Ram ECC UDIMM, 1x512GB SSD Samsung 850 Pro (sda2 - 30GB system, 4GB swap, sda5/rest - for work), 1x 10TB WD Red Pro, 1x 3TB WD Red (both basic setup) - Digibit R1 Sat-IP-Server with SatIP-Axe-Firmware

OMV-Server-SW: Debian Buster with Proxmox kernel (always up-to-date), OMV v5 (always latest), omv-extras-plugin (always latests), AutoShutdown-Plugin, Docker with PlexMediaServer, TVHeadend, any many more

BackupServer: Synology DS1010+ with 4GB Ram, 9TB@SHR (different hdd's), DSM 5.2-5967-2

• yeah for me its just a simple way that fit my crazy head.

also for me its more easy to have a network share on my windows is named nas1 - and in cli i use /media/nas1 and i know thats just the same. :)

also i test alot in my vm - so here i also got /media/ssd what will hold my appdata and thinks like this, so i can just copy my composer files from vm to hardware system and run it.

so everyone have its own way to handle thinks ;)

• Offizieller Beitrag

Sorry, what do you understand by that. Would you be so kind and post an example. Thanks in advance

If you don't label your filesystem, the paths you'll need to use are quite long... /srv/dev-uuid-some-long-ass-number/folder-name

if you label it, your path will be /srv/dev-uuid-label/folder-name.

When you create a filesystem, giving it a "label" is one of the options.. Go to FIlesystems, click create, and you'll see the label option. Now look in the webUI under filesystems, and one of the columns is "Label".

Easy peasy (if you set it up from the beginning)

• Offizieller Beitrag

When you create a filesystem, giving it a "label" is one of the options.. Go to FIlesystems, click create, and you'll see the label option. Now look in the webUI under filesystems, and one of the columns is "Label".

I thought that was required, not optional. I didn't think the filesystems would work without a label. Besides, who wouldn't want an easy to remember label.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I thought that was required, not optional. I didn't think the filesystems would work without a label. Besides, who wouldn't want an easy to remember label.

Not required... but very handy for sure. My data drives do not have labels. It was really just an oversight on my part, but I've considered formatting my drives and adding a label.

• Not required... but very handy for sure. My data drives do not have labels. It was really just an oversight on my part, but I've considered formatting my drives and adding a label.

You don't need to format a filesystem to add a label. You can do this anytime for ext2, ext3 and ext4 with e2label.

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• Offizieller Beitrag

You don't need to format a filesystem to add a label. You can do this anytime for ext2, ext3 and ext4 with e2label.

How? I tried to do it from the webUI and it doesn't seem to allow this.. never really looked at doing it via command line. I'm assuming I'd have to go through and adjust all my paths in my dockers, but that would be no big deal.

Edit: Hm... i just did a quick Google and it looks like this is fairly painless. can't really believe I never thought of that.

• How?

Code
    e2label /dev/sda1

list the label, if prompt is eptpty, you do not have labels

Code
    e2label /dev/sda1 system

Label /dev/sda1 "system"

In my case, I have to use /dev/sda2

= Fujitsu PRIMERGY TX1310 M3 • 2 x HDD 3.5" 4TB Western Digital Red • Windows Server 2019 • Hyper-V • OMV 5.x =

• Offizieller Beitrag
    Code
    e2label /dev/sda1

list the label, if prompt is eptpty, you do not have labels

Code
    e2label /dev/sda1 system

Label /dev/sda1 "system"

In my case, I have to use /dev/sda2

I can't believe I never bothered to Google that (I'd just found the answer prior to your post)...

• I'm assuming I'd have to go through and adjust all my paths in my dockers, but that would be no big deal.

Probably not. If your paths were based on by-partuuid or by-uuid those would still be valid.

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• Just wanted to say a big thank you for the detailed how-to! This way I managed to put all my single containers in a unified compose file and I'm now able to deploy all containers in one stack with just one click!

What used to be a lot of manually and tedious work is now automated! Especially helpful for my current situation where I do a lot of testing around OMV5 and Proxmox!

THX!

• For automatic backup configuration of runing containers:

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!