Problem with Static IP

• Hello, it's my first thread on this forum.
    I'm French, so sorry for my english wich is not fluent...

I'm new in linux environment and i want to creat my own NAS with OMV.
    The installation and the first connection are ok.
    My problem appear when i want to fix a static IP for my NAS. I'm inquiering all informations (IP, subnet mask, bridge) and OMV required to save changes.
    While this operation , an error appears.

If I test with Ping "new IP" it's ok but when i'm trying to connect OMV by entering the New IP in my browser, it's not good and my browser say that it's not accessible.
    My NAS boot is ok, If I connect a screen and keyboard on the NAS ,the new ip are post, I can use the NAS with command directly ... I'm also trying to re-configured the network option with "OMV-firstaid" but it's not good.
    If i'm trying to connect OMV since my computer with "ssh root@myIP" it's not good to ans I can't connect and this message appear.

I'm lost, i'm searching a solution for 2 days long
    Thanks for your help

• Offizieller Beitrag

If i'm trying to connect OMV since my computer with "ssh root@myIP" it's not good to ans I can't connect and this message appear.

You just need to remove the first line in the known-hosts file on your windows computer. The path is mentioned in the error message.

It would be best to set up your router to assign always the same IP to your NAS. Then you don't have to mess with static IP in OMV. Or you connect to the NAS with the host name instead of the IP. So if the hostname is "openmediavault" you can use
    ssh user1@openmediavault
    or
    ssh user1@openemdiavault.local

• Thank for your reply ...i will test this this afternoon..
    But i'm not really understanding..sorry..
    How Can i connect to OMV with my browser?
    I write the hostname of my NAS in the adresse bar or my browser?

Thanks

• Hello Macom, I'm testing your solution and the result is not what I want.
    With this method I can access in with SSH by the console but not with my browser.But the informations write on the console while the test gave me an idea.

So I remember that, on my first test 2 days ago (in the bad harddisk ), I follow a Tutorial wich explain that it s better to active SSL certificat for https connection and I creat this cerficat with "IP static 1".
    After new installation of OMV, finally in the good hardisk , the problem appear when i'm setting the IP for OMV also as "IP static 1" (because of the configuration of my router to adress static IP on my LAN) .
    This morning I'm testing with "OMV-firstaid" to change the "IP static 1" of OMV as "IP static 2" and the problem is solve, access is granted with my browser when I'm writing 'IP Static 2" in the adress bar.

I think my problem is du to the older certificat wich is on my computer, but I don't know how can I erase the older certificat in my computer .
    So I can use OMV with the new "IP Static 2" but I want to understand the problem for not reproducing this in the futur

An idea for me ?

thanks a lot

• Hello Macom, I'm testing your solution and the result is not what I want.
    With this method I can access in with SSH by the console but not with my browser.But the informations write on the console while the test gave me an idea.

So I remember that, on my first test 2 days ago (in the bad harddisk ), I follow a Tutorial wich explain that it s better to active SSL certificat for https connection and I creat this cerficat with "IP static 1".
    After new installation of OMV, finally in the good hardisk , the problem appear when i'm setting the IP for OMV also as "IP static 1" (because of the configuration of my router to adress static IP on my LAN) .
    This morning I'm testing with "OMV-firstaid" to change the "IP static 1" of OMV as "IP static 2" and the problem is solve, access is granted with my browser when I'm writing 'IP Static 2" in the adress bar.

I think my problem is du to the older certificat wich is on my computer, but I don't know how can I erase the older certificat in my computer .
    So I can use OMV with the new "IP Static 2" but I want to understand the problem for not reproducing this in the futur

An idea for me ?

thanks a lot

• Offizieller Beitrag

There are two ways to connect to the OMV server.

Using an IP.

Using a host name.

IP always work. But may be inconvenient. Using a host name is more elegant and convenient but only works if your network supports it. Local dns/name resolution/dnsmasq. Modern routers all support it. Don't buy one that doesn't...

SSH makes you confirm that you really want to connect to a certain computer the first time. After that SSH recognize that computer and allows you to connect to it without asking for extra confirmation.

If you change the remote computer, SSH no longer can recognize it. And it warns you so that you can avoid connecting to a fake computer setup by some evil hacker.

In this warning is detailed information about what you need to do to let SSH know that the reconfigured computer is OK. You simply remove the remote computer from the list of recognized computers. Then the next time you connect using SSH it will be like the first time, again...

There is no need involving ssl for this. For use in a local home network it is just silly. But feel free to experiment with it. It is very easy to make mistakes that are difficult to recover from. So make sure you read a lot about it first. And be prepared to revert back using good backups.

• Hello,thanks for your reply...

I understand the utility of SSH.
    Can you explain me the way to remove the remote computer from the list and the method to make backup?
    So In my LAN ,with thé console from my computer to OMV ,I'm not forced to use SSH ?

Thanks

• Offizieller Beitrag

Can you explain me the way to remove the remote computer from the list

You just need to remove the first line in the known-hosts file on your windows computer. The path is mentioned in the error message.

So In my LAN ,with thé console from my computer to OMV ,I'm not forced to use SSH ?

If you don't have monitor and keyoard attached to your NAS you need SSH in some cases, but you do not need a ssl certificate to use https to access the GUI of OMV.

• So,I found the known-host file, I've erased the line wich contain "IP static 1"... Then I try to Access OMV with the console of my computer ,Access granted with SSH as first connection..but access to GUI always impossible with my browser by entering "IP static 1" and even with NAS hostname.

It seems that the problem come from chrome browser. It is possible ?

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!