Access share from work laptop

• I cannot access my shares in my local network with the laptop I got from work, neither can my girlfriend with her laptop.
    With my laptop the server doesn't even show up, with the other laptop it does but always has the companies domain in front of the username.
    Is there any way to figure out how to connect to OMV without getting our IT departments involved?

• This can have several reasons, e.g. different working group or wrong firewall setting in network profile (in Windows). For your work laptop your local network is a "public" network by default. You could try to change it to "private".

OMV 3.0.100 (Gray style)

ASRock Rack C2550D4I C0-stepping - 16GB ECC - 6x WD RED 3TB (ZFS 2x3 Striped RaidZ1) - Fractal Design Node 304 -

3x WD80EMAZ Snapraid / MergerFS-pool via eSATA - 4-Bay ICYCube MB561U3S-4S with fan-mod

• Offizieller Beitrag

I cannot access my shares in my local network with the laptop I got from work, neither can my girlfriend with her laptop.
    With my laptop the server doesn't even show up, with the other laptop it does but always has the companies domain in front of the username.
    Is there any way to figure out how to connect to OMV without getting our IT departments involved?

I suggest that you DO get your IT departments involved. Before you break the laptops.

Check the papers you signed when checking out the laptop. Are you allowed to use the laptop to login to other local area networks? Or have you agreed/promised never ever to do that?

Be smart - be lazy. Clone your rootfs.
    OMV 5: 9 x Odroid HC2 + 1 x Odroid HC1 + 1 x Raspberry Pi 4

• @ozboss If you come to the conclusion that you are allowed to do what you intend to do, then you can try the following:

I assume your laptop has a Windows OS. Login with your company credentials. It doesn´t matter if your company domain is in front of the user name. The login should work also without a connection to your company lan. Then connect to your OMV system share. Use the username and password of the OMV share, which may differ from your Windows logon. But that´s no problem.
    A problem can be the firewall settings which I have written about in my previous post.

And of course: You should not try this, if you have no permission.

OMV 3.0.100 (Gray style)

ASRock Rack C2550D4I C0-stepping - 16GB ECC - 6x WD RED 3TB (ZFS 2x3 Striped RaidZ1) - Fractal Design Node 304 -

3x WD80EMAZ Snapraid / MergerFS-pool via eSATA - 4-Bay ICYCube MB561U3S-4S with fan-mod

• Ok thanks, well my own work laptop doesn't seem to be part of any workgroup so that is probably the reason why it doesn't show up and I won't mess with that as I'm not using it private.
    On my gf's laptop I would like to get it to work as this is the only machine that she's using.
    OMV shows up there and yes it is no problem to login to windows, but when I try to login to the OMV server it always puts the domain in front of the username.
    So when I enter the username like username and enter the password, it says that the login is not valid and shows me the username like this domainname\username and promts me to put in a new password....

• my own work laptop doesn't seem to be part of any workgroup so that is probably the reason why it doesn't show up and I won't mess with that as I'm not using it private.

:thumbup:

but when I try to login to the OMV server it always puts the domain in front of the username.

Sorry, but I have never seen before, that a domain name must be given within a private network. Normally there is no domain controller.
    Maybe I didn´t get it: Do you try to connect to an OMV Samba share or to the OMV´s WebUI? In the latter case the user name is "admin" with the password which was specified during OMV installation.

OMV 3.0.100 (Gray style)

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von cabrio_leo () aus folgendem Grund: typo

• Maybe I didn´t get it: Do you try to connect to an OMV Samba share or to the OMV´s WebUI? In the latter case the user name is "admin" with the password which was specified during OMV installation.

Trying to access an OMV samba share on a windows laptop...
    (Btw a user can login to WebUI to change password)

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!