Drive Share Confusion

• I'll try to explain. I have OMV on my RPI4. I have USB drive attached labeled in share as CarpData1. This is where all my storage is now.
    I have a Seagate Personal Cloud NAS attached to my network. I see it in my OMV interface.
    What I want to do is add it as a share "inside" that CarpData1 so that it all "appears" as one big chunk of storage.
    Any ideas? Even possible?

• Offizieller Beitrag

I have a Seagate Personal Cloud NAS attached to my network. I see it in my OMV interface.

It's possible, using remote mount, to mount the storage of the Seagate NAS so it "appears" to be a local filesystem on OMV. It "should" be possible to share the Seagate's storage from OMV, but that's as far as I would take the idea.
    If set up that way, I wouldn't use the Seagate's storage for video files. If using OMV as a "storage proxy", streaming a video file that actually resides on the Seagate would mean spooling data over the network to OMV, then onward to a client. That would generated 2X the network traffic. Assuming you have a 1GB network, a large file copy, to or from the Seagate, proxyed through OMV, might saturate the network.

What I want to do is add it as a share "inside" that CarpData1 so that it all "appears" as one big chunk of storage.

It might be possible to merge the local USB drive with the remotely mounted storage, using the UnionFS plugin, but I wouldn't do it. There would be a huge difference in storage latency between the USB drive (USB3 is assumed) and the Seagate. The UnionFS plugin (actually MergerFS) can't differentiate between the storage devices in the merged storage pool. At a minimum, odd behavior should be expected and it might not work at all.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!