change system drive from SSD to USB?

• Hi all,

My system disk currently is a 250GB M.2 SSD, I thought it would be a good idea to have the OS on a fast SSD and 250GB was the smallest I could find. But I read online that it's actually not the best idea and see people recommending running OMV of a USB flashdrive.

Is it a straight forward process to move the installation over to a new disk? My experience with Linux filesystem tables and such is very limited, the only times I dared to mess with it, is when I didn't care too much about the system, which is not the case now.

So if anyone could point my in a helpful direction would be nice!

• Offizieller Beitrag

I think there is nothing wrong with running OMV from a SSD. I have created another partition on my SSD so that I can use the space also for data.

Agreed. If the OP is happy with the SSD as his OS drive, just fire up a Live Partition tool, partition the drive down to about 10-16gigs for the OS, Format the rest and the mount the new partition on the OS drive in the webUI as storage.

Only precaution here, is if you reinstall. If you reinstall, you either

1. Need to make sure the data on that 2nd partition is backed up, as the OMV installer will completely format the drive.

2. Do a Debian mini installation to the OS partition (thus not touching the "storage" partition)... and then install OMV on top of Debian.

• Thanks for the advise. This only applies to a full reinstall and not an upgrade to a newer version in the future for example, right?

I guess I'll keep my SSD in there. Not sure what I'm gonna use it for though. I bet I'll find something.

Another question though. Should I install the flash memory plug in? I usually see this mentioned in relation to USB installations, but since SSD is flash memory, does it apply as well?

• Another question though. Should I install the flash memory plug in? I usually see this mentioned in relation to USB installations, but since SSD is flash memory, does it apply as well?

Yes, install the flash memory plugin.

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• Offizieller Beitrag

If you want to try the USB drive version, just clone your OS filesystem to a USB thumb drive using clonezilla. Make sure to use the -icds switch in advanced options so that Clonezilla is not complaining that the target drive is smaller than the source. Then try to get your NAS to boot from USB and find out wheter you are happy with it or not. If not, just switch back to your SSD.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!