How do I get CPU temp, hdd Temps and Fan speeds, preferably in netdata container

• Is there a good way to give a docker instance of Netdata access to what it needs to poll CPU temp and maybe some other data that is in lm-sensors, and if so how would I get that to show up in netdata?

I have re purposed an old PC as my OMV server and I'm looking for a way to monitor(and record)HDD, CPU, other system Temps and in the future possibly adjust fan speeds. I've installed Netdata and really like the interface and I think it has the plugins for CPU temp but it doesn't seem to have access on my system to what it needs for temps and fan speeds.

I'm starting to get a grasp for docker but I'm barely fluent enough in Linux to copy files and remove programs. I primarily have this OMV server as a fun way to learn linux, I'm looking for something to learn and for a good way to keep an eye on the my hardware. I'm also open to other solutions for monitoring (and recording) system temps and adjusting fan speeds.

If any one is curious, I'm attempting to make my system a bit quiter when it is idle or at low CPU usage, but mostly I'm a sucker for data and graphs. I've upgraded the CPU cooler and I'm happy with my HDD spin down (for now).

• you need to have

Code
    /proc:/host/proc:ro \

-v /sys:/host/sys:ro \

-v /var/run/docker.sock:/var/run/docker.sock:ro \

--cap-add SYS_PTRACE \

enable (defined) on your netdata docker to show CPU temp & HD Tempadd

• I've been setting up my containers with the web gui on OMV and I've been able to stumble thru decently well but I think I'm hung up on something simple and I'm not sure how to formulate a search for it. Whats the "-v" doing in -v /sys:/host/sys:ro \ and it isn't in /proc:/host/proc:ro \

I thought I had the concept of "mapping" the docker file structure to the files on my server but I now I think I may be missing something significant. That being said, normally i would "map" or "bind" a folder to one that I have already created or one that already exists. I blindly followed the instructions for installing Netdata and I didn't check to see what folders were already there and what wasn't. After reading this post i know /var/run/docker.sock doesn't already exist

By the way, thanks a ton. This forum has been great and you guys are awesome.

Edit: Forgot to mention, I did install lm-sensors from terminal of omv. If that makes a difference

• Thank you @raulfg3, I added /var/run/docker.sock and now have a several more things showing up in netdata including the name of my docker images rather than the string of characters they were before, but still no temps or voltages.
    And, @tinh_x7 thank you for the clarification and suggestion, I need to play around some more and learn to do more of this from terminal to better understand what I'm doing, I'll probably add grafana to my list to play with. I have always been drawn to grafana but I previously used it at work for the only part of my job I didn't like so now I feel obligated to dislike it when I'm off the clock.

• Hi, I'm trying to run the Netdata container but I'm getting a tons of errors:
    This is the configuration:
    https://i.imgur.com/fb4srnM.png
    Do I need to setup some permissions or something like that? I didn't give any PGID or PUID since they are not mentioned. Also I'm confused because I miss the classic config folder like I do for all other containers.

Intel G4400 - Asrock H170M Pro4S - 8GB ram - Be Quiet Pure Power 11 400 CM - Nanoxia Deep Silence 4 - 6TB Seagate Ironwolf - RAIDZ1 3x10TB WD - OMV 5 - Proxmox Kernel

• Netdata Docker:

Code
    docker run -d --name=netdata \
      -p 19999:19999 \
      -v /proc:/host/proc:ro \
      -v /sys:/host/sys:ro \
      -v /var/run/docker.sock:/var/run/docker.sock:ro \
      --cap-add SYS_PTRACE \
      --security-opt apparmor=unconfined \
      netdata/netdata

BS: OMV5 auf Buster
    SW: UFS, Snapraid, LEMP, rsync, Rsnapshot, SMB/CIFS
    HW: MSI B350M MORTAR, Athlon 200GE, MSI Core Frozr L -Lüfter, Micro-ATX Gehäuse, 8Gb Ram, 64Gb M.2 SSD als Systemplatte, 64 GB SSD für Cache, 3x 6TB WD Red
    Docker: emby/embyserver, linuxserver/nextcloud, wordpress, linuxserver/calibre-web, linuxserver/heimdall, vimagick/glances, v2tec/watchtower, bitwardenrs/server, linuxserver/mariadb, phpmyadmin/phpmyadmin, duplicati/duplicati

• yeah, it seems the same as what I did, The only doubt I have is if I wrote the etra args wrong :/
    For instance, this is the kind of errors that I get:

Is it normal?

Intel G4400 - Asrock H170M Pro4S - 8GB ram - Be Quiet Pure Power 11 400 CM - Nanoxia Deep Silence 4 - 6TB Seagate Ironwolf - RAIDZ1 3x10TB WD - OMV 5 - Proxmox Kernel

2 Mal editiert, zuletzt von Blabla ()

• Hi, I'm trying to run the Netdata container but I'm getting a tons of errors:
    This is the configuration:
    https://i.imgur.com/fb4srnM.png
    Do I need to setup some permissions or something like that? I didn't give any PGID or PUID since they are not mentioned. Also I'm confused because I miss the classic config folder like I do for all other containers.

/proc & /sys are incorrect

in container path must be /proc in host path must be /proc and same for /sys

and change from R/W to read only

in Extra argument delete "-d"

and try again

• Still getting the same tons of errors :(

This how I modified the container:

• change network mode to bridge (revise shared port) and delete -- security-op.... ( maintain --cap-add SYS_PTRACE)

and please post info about your hardware , eg: is AMD64 compatible or is raspi?

• Hi,

I have found the tempreture section but is there anyway to pin it to the top (overview)

Normally if its in red it's bad!!!

Machine 1 - Dell OptiPlex 790 - Core i5-2400 3.10GHz - 16GB RAM - OMV5

Machine 2 - Raspberry PI4 - ARMv7 - 2GB - OMV5

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von STUKguy () aus folgendem Grund: Question changed

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!