Raspberry Pi 4 4GB, OMV5 No GUI and no SSH access after install

• I have googled this problem, checked the common issues thread, and tried to re-install 3 times with two SD cards. This is a reproducible problem.

Problem:
    Networking appears to be partially broken after initial install of OMV5 on the Raspberry Pi 4.
    There is no GUI
    'ERR_CONNECTION_TIMED_OUT''
    There is no response to pings

Code
    ping 192.168.0.24
    PING 192.168.0.24 (192.168.0.24) 56(84) bytes of data.
    ^C
    --- 192.168.0.24 ping statistics ---
    11 packets transmitted, 0 received, 100% packet loss, time 28251ms

No response to SSH

Code
    $ ssh -v root@192.168.0.24
    OpenSSH_6.6.1, OpenSSL 1.0.1f 6 Jan 2014
    debug1: Reading configuration data /etc/ssh/ssh_config
    debug1: /etc/ssh/ssh_config line 19: Applying options for *
    debug1: Connecting to 192.168.0.24 [192.168.0.24] port 22.
    debug1: connect to address 192.168.0.24 port 22: Resource temporarily unavailable
    ssh: connect to host 192.168.0.24 port 22: Resource temporarily unavailable168.0.24] port 22.

The router does give out a DHCP address

Device: Raspberrypi 4 4gb
    SD Card: Sandisk Ultra 32GB
    OS: Raspbian buster lite (a50237c2f718bd8d806b96df5b9d2174ce8b789eda1f03434ed2213bbca6c6ff)
    OMV5: Installed via the below command on 2020-01-28

Code
    wget -O - https://github.com/OpenMediaVault-Plugin-Developers/installScript/raw/master/install | sudo bash

To recreate.
    1. Use this official guide to install OMV5 on as raspberrypi 4.
    - This included all steps, paying close attention to adding the Pi user to the SSH group. I did not run `sudo raspi-config`. I ran `sudo apt update` and `sudo apt upgrade` as instructed.
    2. OMV5 install command completes sucessfuly
    3. Restart the Pi using `sudo reboot`
    4. Waited for 5 minutes
    5. No GUI, I confirmed the IP on my router, no other Pis running in the house. MAC address matched
    6. No SSH access to debug. - I understand that OMV disables SSH on install and that this is a feature not a bug

Unfortunately I am running this Pi headlessly so I cannot debug it as SSH access is now disabled.

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von HarvsG () aus folgendem Grund: Added in debug information

• Offizieller Beitrag

No GUI, I confirmed the IP on my router, no other Pis running in the house. MAC address matched

Did you plug a monitor in to see if the system has an IP address? Checking things out on the system locally is the best way to debug the problem. As for a reproducible problem, it seems to be limited to your setup because I have done this many, many times and the script has been downloaded hundreds of times.

No SSH access to debug. - I understand that OMV disables SSH on install and that this is a feature not a bug

It doesn't disable SSH. You just can't use the pi user because it is not a member of the ssh group. The idea is to add a new user using the web interface and add that user to the ssh group.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• pi user because it is not a member of the ssh group

paying close attention to adding the Pi user to the SSH group

As posted in the original post I added the pi to the SSH group before the install, sadly no luck when trying to SSH 'root' or 'pi'

Did you plug a monitor in to see if the system has an IP address?

Unfortunately I am running this Pi headlessly so I cannot debug it as SSH access is now disabled.

As I posted in the original post unfortunately for the want of a MicroHDMI cable I am unable to do any local debugging. I got the IP address from my router and confirmed it with a network scan from my phone using 'fing'.

it seems to be limited to your setup because I have done this many, many times and the script has been downloaded hundreds of times.

I hope so, but this is what I find mystifying, it is a completely fresh install, following the instructions word for word. It does seem as if it is similar to this issue, so perhaps not completely unique: https://forum.openmediavault.o…-on-pi4-No-access-to-GUI/.

EDIT: It hopped IP address to .28
    Apologies

• Offizieller Beitrag

As posted in the original post I added the pi to the SSH group before the install, sadly no luck when trying to SSH 'root' or 'pi'

Yep, I speed read badly. Too many posts...

As I posted in the original post unfortunately for the want of a MicroHDMI cable I am unable to do any local debugging. I got the IP address from my router and confirmed it with a network scan from my phone using 'fing'.

With arm boards, you want to be able to hook up some kind of local connection. When I started on arm boards, a serial connection was almost mandatory. I recommend getting the microhdmi adapter.

I hope so, but this is what I find mystifying, it is a completely fresh install, following the instructions word for word. It does seem as if it is similar to this issue, so perhaps not completely unique: forum.openmediavault.org/index…-on-pi4-No-access-to-GUI/.

No offense but Pi users have lots of problems because they usually have no Linux skills. And if we can't replicate the problem, it is hard to offer a solution. Since the script is download 100+ times a day, I would think the problem would be more widespread. Maybe the dhcp server you are using is doing something weird. Without local access, it is almost impossible to figure out. Maybe try scanning port 80 on your network to see if it is listening on an IP address. Not sure what else to tell you to try.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

• Offizieller Beitrag

Scan of port 80 worked, Issue now resolved. The Pi hopped IP address, but I think the router and the Phone were serving cached MAC:IP pairings from previous ARPs

I guess that isn't surprising. OMV uses systemd-networkd which is different than armbian and raspbian. Some routers give out a different IP address for some reason. Not sure if the dhcp request is different or what since the mac address is the same.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!