OMW 5 transmission plugin

• Dear All,

I need your help because I stuck
    I try to explain my problem.
    I have a raspberry pi 3.0 at the past I have on it an omw 4.0. Some weeks ago the omw 4.0 is just crash or I do not know what happened and not working anymore.
    So I try to install it again the omw4 with the saved "OMV_4_Raspberry_Pi_2_3_3_Plus.img.xz" file and I use Etcher.
    I try install omw 4 to my raspberry several times but it is look like the omw 4 is stuck or freeze every time so I give up the installation.
    Now I install omw 5 it according to github.com/OpenMediaVault-Plug…ing_OMV5_on_an%20R-PI.pdf istructions and is works well.
    But now I have a small problem with omw 5 the transmission plugin is missing. I read a loot of comment of this topic but there is no any solution for me.
    I also try "sudo apt- get install transmission" but this is also not working I mean I do not see the in omw 5 in the services the "BitTorrent" like here forum.openmediavault.org/index…17-09-10-om-14-09-49-png/.
    I also try to download the " openmediavault-transmissionbt_4.0_all.deb" and try to add to omw 5 but is is cause a crash :)
    So I stuck here. If you have any idea or support for me it will be a pleasure :)

Thank you very much in advance :saint:

• Transmission plugin is not going to happen with OMV5, it is incompatible and won't be updated. You have to install Transmission via Docker. Do a quick search on the forum and you will find more information.
    Generally speaking, with OMV5, plugins that are actually third party apps have been deprecated.

OMV BUILD - MY NAS KILLER - OMV 6.x + omvextrasorg (updated automatically every week)

NAS Specs: Core i3-8300 - ASRock H370M-ITX/ac - 16GB RAM - Sandisk Ultra Flair 32GB (OMV), 256GB NVME SSD (Docker Apps), Several HDDs (Data) w/ SnapRAID - Fractal Design Node 304 - Be quiet! Pure Power 11 350W

My all-in-one SnapRAID script!

• Offizieller Beitrag

so you mean I log with putty and wrote to the command line this :
    sudo docker pull linuxserver/transmission ?

Well, you can but that's only part of it. That will pull the image and nothing else. You would still need to create and configure a container to to use the transmission image. Transmission is one of those plugins that was ditched in favor of docker.

You need to do some reading up on docker and portainer

Start here.. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=acQyhzJNEX8&t=2s

• thank you :) it is look i need to do in hard way . :(
    i think i need to do the install according to this video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DWCAGiw4SkA
    what i really do not understand in omw 4 the transmission bot is working really simply way. that was the reason why I use omw 4
    in omw 4 you do not need docker or portainer.. you just seletct the plugin click on it and after that it is install "him self"

maybe I will try again to install omw 4 to my raspberry pi 3.0 and let see

• Offizieller Beitrag

what i really do not understand in omw 4 the transmission bot is working really simply way. that was the reason why I use omw 4
    in omw 4 you do not need docker or portainer.. you just seletct the plugin click on it and after that it is install "him self"

That is correct but I have never used transmission and don't have time to port that plugin to OMV 5.x. Downloader plugins belong in docker anyway. The docker isn't hard if you would just try.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.11 | compose 7.1.3 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Offizieller Beitrag

I hope at the future you have some time to port this plugin to omw 5.0 it really really use full for the users like me

I'm sorry but I have no plans to port it. I'm sure there will be a how to or video setting this up using portainer/docker that will give you what you need.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.11 | compose 7.1.3 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Have a look at this video from Techno Dad
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rwovJ9kUSoA

OMV BUILD - MY NAS KILLER - OMV 6.x + omvextrasorg (updated automatically every week)

NAS Specs: Core i3-8300 - ASRock H370M-ITX/ac - 16GB RAM - Sandisk Ultra Flair 32GB (OMV), 256GB NVME SSD (Docker Apps), Several HDDs (Data) w/ SnapRAID - Fractal Design Node 304 - Be quiet! Pure Power 11 350W

My all-in-one SnapRAID script!

• If you really insist on using Transmission via an OMV plugin, all you have to do is stick with the last version of OMV that had the plugin available. Another option is that you write a plugin yourself.

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• hy all!!
    I have good news for you :) I solved my problems :) I install the omw 4 again and than I connect a keyboard and monitor.
    Then I log in to the command line with "root" pass : "openmediavault" and then type to the command line "sudo apt-get upgrade"
    and miracle happened :) The omw 4 is updatet and now everything is looks like work well :)

So I so proud to my self to solve it :D

Thank you all for all help :D

Br Jero

• In my opinion, a plugin that everyone uses a lot like the Torrent plugin should have been in OMV 5,

I installed it with Docker, but after a month of system update, the transmission becomes inoperable in a way that I don't know why after about a month ...

@ edit

I just installed qbitorrent by following the instructions given at the address below, I hope it won't break

Externer Inhalt www.youtube.com
    Inhalte von externen Seiten werden ohne Ihre Zustimmung nicht automatisch geladen und angezeigt.
    Durch die Aktivierung der externen Inhalte erklären Sie sich damit einverstanden, dass personenbezogene Daten an Drittplattformen übermittelt werden. Mehr Informationen dazu haben wir in unserer Datenschutzerklärung zur Verfügung gestellt.

• Hello, I am not good with Linux and a 6 year beginner still. This is why instead of stand alone SMB shares I have chosen OMV on a raspberry pi 4B unit. My data needs are small but I would like to use the automated setup like I had running on OpenWRT. I see that file shares already are more rapid on the Pi so this is encouraging. But I am finding issues with adding transmission. I wonder has anyone configured transmission stand-alone and just written (via transmission) to the same shares that OMV has set up in the /srv directory? I've spent several days so far trying to make it work. Thank you. (I understand there was once a plugin for OMV 4 but what another person has stated, OMV 4 is updated to OMV 5 and thus eve if I get the plugin working in OVM 4 there is a good chance that it might auto update and stop the function of transmission in the future?)

Also I am just looking to get it up without having to learn (if possible) the docker and stacks and all that is available because I hope this is my first and last pi project. That is simply because it takes me weeks and months to do what others do in minutes who have been working with the Pi for a good while now.

• What features did the plug-in for transmission provide to OMV previously?

I am using a Raspberry Pi 4B with the latest version of debian-transmission and OMV5 and it is working well. I didn't want to load anything I didn't really need on this small device like DOCKER (wanted all the CPU power going to these two apps) but I did still want to use these two software packages together. Briefly here is what I did to install:

- install OMV5 (see Apr 2020 article from PiMyLifeUP is a good guide "Installing OpenMediaVault to a Raspberry Pi")

- go head and mount your USB drive and set up your shares that transmission will ultimately write to (presumably) (accomplished under the OMV "file systems" option via a "MOUNT")

- you may want to create sym links then with a shorter name (the names of the OMV mount names of USB drives often span near a half screen long)

- install transmission

- follow guide to change config files to use the "pi" ID instead of "debian-transmission" (see also the 2019 article from PieMyLifeUp "How to setup transmission on the raspberry pi" and follow all the process)

- make sure to shut down transmission daemon while configuring transmission control files

- change the UMASK value to 02 in settings.json if you want files to be created where authorized groups can work with them in addition to the new "pi" owner (allows you to set up a Samba share ID on WIndows that can have the transmission-created files mounted in R/W or R/O

- change in settings.json also, the download directory and if you use it, the incomplete directory to either the symlink address you created or the ultra-long typical USB drive mount name that was established automatically by the action of the OMV "file system" mount option for the USB drive

- start transmission again

- you should be good to go now with transmission writing to your Samba shares defined in OMV and your Windows and various other SMB enabled devices working with new files as they have been downloaded and removed from control of transmission

This is great for the Windows user who accesses the OMV files as traditional windows shares and perhaps uses the Transmission Remote GUI on windows to execute commands to the transmission daemon on the RPi server. Do make note that transmission daemon must be shut down to update the config files and also note that the daemon writes a hash over your rpc-password (used for the remote GUI) once transmission is re-started after the plain-text password has been saved in the settings.json config file and transmission restarted) (FYI the password remains the original you used and doen't turn into the new hash overlay)

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!