Update network interface - crash,lost connection

• OMV 4.x

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Update network interface - crash,lost connection

Hi,
      Why any modification in OMV>>System>>Network>>Interfaces like ex DNS settings, ended with communication lost. I lost ping to my OMV and need restart device.
      My dev RPi 4, source installation OMV from img prepared for RPI, name device eth0.
      Images
      • 9.PNG

24 kB, 1,693×677, viewed 29 times
      • 6.PNG

13.71 kB, 527×309, viewed 28 times
    • So,Do I understand that the recommended option for RPI4 is switching to unstable version 5?I used this install...about 6, maybe 12 months...now i have firsts problems with pihole...network interfaces...

Any solutions for backup my settings, dockers etc? Or delete all...and from level 0 install?
    • loso wrote:

is switching to unstable version 5
      Far from unstable, whilst still officially beta it's recommended to switch particularly for Pi4

loso wrote:

Any solutions for backup my settings, dockers etc? Or delete all...and from level 0 install?
      No backup possible, take screen shots or make notes of the set up and settings, regarding Docker, Portainer is now used, and some plugins previously in OMV4 have been removed in respect of their Docker counterparts.
      Raid is not a backup! Would you go skydiving without a parachute?
    • loso wrote:

Why any modification in OMV>>System>>Network>>Interfaces like ex DNS settings, ended with communication lost
      When you change the network config, then the webserver is restarted, too. This will lead to an communication error which is normal in this case.
      Absolutely no support through PM!

I must not fear.
      Fear is the mind-killer.
      Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.
      I will face my fear.
      I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
      And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
      Where the fear has gone there will be nothing.
      Only I will remain.

Litany against fear by Bene Gesserit
    • votdev wrote:

When you change the network config, then the webserver is restarted, too. This will lead to an communication error which is normal in this case.
      Yes, but itsn't normal to lost ping, communication and only returns when it reboots dev...previous of course i waiting long time....
    • loso wrote:

votdev wrote:

Yes, but itsn't normal to lost ping, communication and only returns when it reboots dev...previous of course i waiting long time....
      It's normal when you do systemctl restart networking. When you change the network settings, then the WHOLE network is restarted. What do you expect in this case?

I must not fear.
      Fear is the mind-killer.
      I will face my fear.
      Only I will remain.

• I think something is not working properly. I would expect the network to return after a network restarting. Not that I have to turn off the device from after 5 (or more) minutes because the connection does not return. Also, when I issue the "systemctl restart networking" command (which is clear) network stops working, but ... it doesn't come back. So, then i need plug off rpi from electricity.
      Maybe in fact the only way is to re-install OMV ...
    • Please give OMV5 a try. Handling network configuration in OMV4 is done via Debian tools which makes always troubles in my experience, OMV5 uses systemd-networkd which is working much better.

I must not fear.
      Fear is the mind-killer.
      I will face my fear.
      Only I will remain.