"Gave up waiting for root file system" after fresh install

• I just did a fresh OMV5 install on an SD-card (via USB3). Everything works fine and the system boots properly (forced UEFI install, if that matters)

However, when I add any more drives to the system, the system drive can't be mounted anymore. It took me a while (and several threads in this forum) to find out the actual problem. Apparently, the system drive (/dev/sda) gets pushed back during the bootand is called sdb, sdc, sdd, ... depending on how many drives are attached.

I looked at the /etc/fstab, however the system drive is mounted via UUID, so I don't understand why OMV still talks about /dev/sda.

When I try to boot up, I get dropped into busybox. 'cat /proc/cmdline' tells me that /dev/sda2 couldn't be mounted properly.
    I can still mount the system drive (now 'sdd2'), and look at the fstab. Obviously I can tell the fstab to try mounting /dev/sdd2 instead of the UUID, but that's just a temporary solution, since it'll be pushed off to 'sde2' if I ever plug in another drive.

If I shutdown the system, remove the sata drives, the system boots up properly. I can then hotplug the drives back in.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I saw this just a couple of days ago. I bet it’s just what you need:

Problem adding hardrive

Good luck.

System Backup Typo alert: Under the Linux section the command should be sudo umount /dev/sda1 NOT sudo unmount /dev/sda1

Backup Data Disk to Backup Disk on Same Machine: In a Scheduled Job:rsync -av --delete /srv/dev-disk-by-uuid-f8814ed9-9a5c-4e1c-8830-426968c20ea3/ /srv/dev-disk-by-uuid-e67439d5-00a3-4942-bd5f-b84ab86aa850/ Don't forget trailing slashes, and BE CAREFUL. (HT: Getting Started with OMV5)

Equipment - Thinkserver TS140, NanoPi M4 (v.1), Odroid XU4 (Using DietPi): PiHole

• I’m having exactly this problem but I don’t know how to boot into the command line to fix it with update-grub. I’m extremely frustrated & getting nowhere. :( Would anyone have a suggestion?

During installation, you should have 2 drives inserted: the installation-usb and the drive you're installing it on. If you have any other sata-drives plugged in -> unplug them.
    Make sure, that the drive you want to install it on, is being recognized as 'sda' (not sdb).

Then, install it and remove the usb-install-drive afterwards. Now you can boot into the system normally. Since there is only 1 drive, and the installation-drive was recognized as 'sda' during the installation, there wont be any problems.
    If you plugin any other drives, those new drives can 'push off' your root-filesystem. Then it'll be named 'sdb' or 'sdc', etc. and you can't boot anymore (because grub is looking for the root-filesystem on sda)

• A properly finalized installation should have all disks identified in fstab by either disk-label or UUID, not sdx.

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• A properly finalized installation should have all disks identified in fstab by either disk-label or UUID, not sdx.

omv correctly uses the UUIDs of the disks, however grub doesn't. That's why bug occurs every time.

The problem is I can’t change the order of the drives in the installer. The USB key defaults to SDA & I don’t know how to change that.

I belive there is an internal usb-port order. If both your omv-installation and your usb-installer are usb-drives, just try switching out the usb-ports. Then your installer should become sdb and your omv-installation-drive should become sda.

If that doesn't work, then just install it anyway (as sdb). But leave the usb-installer-drive inserted after the installation is over and reboot. Then have your bios/uefi boot into the correct omv-root-drive (dont boot into the installer again)
    If omv was installed on sdb (and the installer-disk is still sda), then grub should try to boot correctly from sdb

The installation drive is an SSD, btw.

I left the USB installer in but got hung up on some BIOS stuff. I’m pretty sure I’ve resolved it, but as a precaution I’ve taken out the SSD, I’m putting it in an enclosure & doing a deep format on another computer. Hopefully that does it.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!