Help installing Controller Drivers! Disks Not seen

• Can someone walk me through installing drivers so I can see my controller card? The card is a Highpoint 3740A. I downloaded the .bin driver from their website and have it copied in a /tmp location but I cannot seem to get it installed.

If I cannot get it installed and working I will have to ditch using OMV. This is my first time using this platform so I have yet to get it functional with any disks.

When I try to #sudo sh Filename.bin

I get a error: syntax error "elif"

• Offizieller Beitrag

Have you considered trying OMV 5?

First, assuming you installed off the OMV ISO.. is your OMV system up to date? That card is old enough I would think it would work with Debian 9, which OMV 4 is based on.

apt update
    apt upgrade
    apt dist-upgrade

then reboot and see if that card works.

If it doesn't, I'd probably install OMV 5, update it in the same manner, then see if it works.

• So I just did a new fresh install to OMV 5.05 from the main .iso on the site. Did not see any disks or the card.

Ran the following as recommended to upgrade to latest release and packages:

apt upgrade
    apt update
    apt dist-upgrade

Then, rebooted.

Still do not see anything.

Bios sees it just fine and the card configuration bios utility works just fine. I tested with unraid demo/trial just to see and it sees it but I don't like unraid and want to try to get this working.

Any additional suggestions?

• Offizieller Beitrag

When I try to #sudo sh Filename.bin

I get a error: syntax error "elif"

*.bin would indicate a binary and not a script, wouldn't it?

If the file is executable, you could try

./filename.bin

If not, make it executable with
    chmod a+x filename.bin

• Forgive me as I am probably a novice at linux

Each time I run the .bin file I get the following:

: not found 3: r3740a.bin
    : not found 7: r3740a.bin
    : not found 14: r3740a.bin
    r3740a.bin: 18: r3740a.bin Syntax error: "elif" unexpected (expecting "then")

===============

On the manufacturer website there is a Linux Driver (This one); and a FreeBSD Driver.

• You should provide a link to the driver file so that others can examine it.

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• Worked for me on OMV 5, no problem.

--

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

• This package isn't a bare driver. It must be compiled and installed from the provided sources.

Did you read the included readme file and satisfy the dependencies - gcc, make, and perl? Installing the build-essential package should get you everything you need, but maybe not perl. So do this and then try again:

apt-get install build-essential perl

Also, exactly how and on what platform did you extract from the tarball you downloaded?

--

• forgive me as I am a just a beginner / novice at Linux. I downloaded the .gz file on windows desktop then unzipped it in windows and copied the .bin to flash usb and inserted into OMV server. I saw the readme and tried the # yum install gcc make perl command but nothing happened.

Yes. I have no idea how to even install anything in Linux. I am that much of a Noob. Trying to learn.

I just ran the command you posted for "apt-get install build-essential perl" and now rebooting after that.

• yum is a Red Hat package manager. OMV is Debian and doesn't use it.

There was no need to reboot after installing those packages.

I hope it builds and installs for you. One thing you need to have is patience. Once the build process started for me it was silent (no output) for quite a few minutes before it completed. This could be misinterpreted as a hang, so don't rush it.

I do have to wonder how or why you have that particular controller card. It's very expensive, overkill for most use cases, and unless it can offer IT or JBOD mode, you will be stuck with using it as a RAID controller - not the best idea.

--

• gcc --version
    gcc (Debian 8.3.0-6) 8.3.0

Perl v5.28.1 with 61 registered packaged

GNU Make 4.2.1
    ============================
    Still getting the same results on the sh rr3740a_840a_2840a_linux_src_v1.19.0_19_04_04.bin command running from the root console.

Has to be something i'm missing or just not doing right...

=============================

This host used to run Win2012R2 with hardware raid on that card. I'm using it as a local backup repository for my ESXi cluster in a home lab. I've worked in IT for a while but mostly Windows, ESX, and network and I figured it's about time I jump into some Linux since I'm so green at it right now.

• Something may have corrupted the file when you used Windows to extract it.

I would try copying the RR3740A_840A_2840A_Linux_Src_v1.19.0_19_04_04.tar.gz file into your OMV in a temp directory and untar it like this:

tar -zxvf RR3740A_840A_2840A_Linux_Src_v1.19.0_19_04_04.tar.gz

Then try to build it:

sudo chmod 777 rr3740a_840a_2840a_linux_src_v1.19.0_19_04_04.bin

sudo sh rr3740a_840a_2840a_linux_src_v1.19.0_19_04_04.bin

--

• From what I could see you might have to rebuild the driver if you upgrade the kernel.

--

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!