Help with Plex Plugin

• So I had OMV 4 and Plex running just fine on my old AMD X2 4200+ machine, but I moved around some files and accidently wiped my Plex database. I tried to reinstall, with no luck, so I decided just to reinstall OMV. I still can't get Plex to start. After 6 reinstalls (4 x v4, and a v5 for giggles). I'm the furthest I've gotten so far though with the current 4 install. This is an old machine with 2GB RAM, so I went with the Plugin instead of Docker. Everything else is working great, but when I try to enable Plex and choose a directory it throws this error:

Code
    Failed to execute command 'export PATH=/bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/local/sbin; export LANG=C.UTF-8; systemctl start 'plexmediaserver' 2>&1' with exit code '1': Job for plexmediaserver.service failed because of unavailable resources or another system error. See "systemctl status plexmediaserver.service" and "journalctl -xe" for details.

and viewing details give this:

I'm kinda at a loss. There wasn't anything different in my install than there was in my original install that worked. I really don't know what to do. I had it working perfectly and now this. I'm debating whether or not to try another install of OMV 4 (I tried 5 also in a earlier install and it didn't work) or go with something else.

I find it all strange because when I installed OMV 4 and Plex months ago on this old machine it was super easy. I'm not sure what's wrong at this point and could use some help. While my Mac & Win skills are strong, my Debian skills aren't as sharp. I can provide whatever info and logs needed. Thanks in advance.

• I figured that would be what someone would suggest, and I tried that on my 5 install, but Docker runs slow on this machine.

My thing is I got it working just fine with the plugin before. Like really fine. I had 4 users streaming no problem. I don't get why it's not working now. I'd like to get some help with the plugin as opposed to docker. I've been debugging and trying for 3 days now.

• I have a similar problem with the Plex plugin and the same error message.
    Something may have happened to the plugin recently.
    Plex may have changed something.

It might help: the /etc/default/plexmediaserver environment file is not created.

• Have you tried clearing your browser cache yet?

I have. No difference. I dumped all my Safari cache and tried. I don't really use Safari, so it was pretty clean. Same result.

I have a similar problem with the Plex plugin and the same error message.
    Something may have happened to the plugin recently.
    Plex may have changed something.

It might help: the /etc/default/plexmediaserver environment file is not created.

Well, I'm glad I'm not alone. I'm going to give a fresh reinstall a retry tomorrow when I have some time to do it. I'm still looking for suggestions though! This kinda sucks.

• Try removing the plugin and download and install the package from Plex.tv:

Code
    https://downloads.plex.tv/plex-media-server-new/1.18.5.2309-f5213a238/debian/plexmediaserver_1.18.5.2309-f5213a238_amd64.deb

If it runs properly you can relocate the metadatabase manually which is really the only extra the plugin provides.

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von gderf ()

• Try removing the plugin and download and install the package from Plex.tv:

Code
    https://downloads.plex.tv/plex-media-server-new/1.18.5.2309-f5213a238/debian/plexmediaserver_1.18.5.2309-f5213a238_amd64.deb

If it runs properly you can relocate the metadatabase manually which is really the only extra the plugin provides.

I'm thinking that's pretty much my plan. I lost my meta database on a goof, so that part's not much of a worry. I'm thinking fresh OMV Install plus all the Debian base files, then install Plex outside of the OMV interface. I'm not too worried about integration with OMV, as Plex kinda is already outside of it anyway. OMV doesn't integrate it too heavy to be missed.

It just sucks. But I went with a Linux NAS server and half expect stuff like this from time-to-time. Plus I learned UNIX on a terminal setup in 1997 lol, though Mac's aren't a ton different in the Terminal sense. The differences matter enough though.

• I'm also getting errors after installing the plugin. When enabling, the gui shows errors and several failed messages in the logs even with following some of the guides on the forum to verify I did everything correctly.

I've thought of dockers as virtual machines as they don't get to use all the system resources, hence why a VM is slower, I don't know if that's the case with a docker though. I too,would like to know how installing the package directly on the OMV system works out

Where there's a will, there is a way! :D
    Cisco UCS C200 M1 Server w/LSI HBA + External drive enclosure
    OMV-4.1.32-1 (Arrakis)
    Linux 4.15.18-24-pve Kernel
    ZFS Nas storage

• I'm also getting errors after installing the plugin. When enabling, the gui shows errors and several failed messages in the logs even with following some of the guides on the forum to verify I did everything correctly.

I've thought of dockers as virtual machines as they don't get to use all the system resources, hence why a VM is slower, I don't know if that's the case with a docker though. I too,would like to know how installing the package directly on the OMV system works out

I'll let you know. Bearing how my work day goes , I'll probably have some time tonight to do it.

• So I won't have time to do a full reinstall until tomorrow or Friday, but...

after messing around and installing Plex from the Debian source, I got the service running. I found a bunch of previous install leftovers and junk, so I am going to do a full reinstall and then install it outside of OMV.

My plan is OMV 4 full install and update. Then I'm more or less going to follow this guide except for I'll create my meta folder where I want it:

https://linuxize.com/post/how-…install-plex-media-server

• Offizieller Beitrag

Is there any hope that any developer will check and fix the plugin?

I doubt that ryecoaaron will update the plugin and I am afraid that he is the only one that would do it.

I hate this plugin. So, it will not be coming back. All it does is generate support issues here on the forum. And the fact that docker would be slower makes no sense.

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Plex has recently been making changes to their packaging and installation scripts within. Probably explains the problems being seen.

--
    Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle!

OMV AMD64 7.x on headless Chenbro NR12000 1U 1x 8m Quad Core E3-1220 3.1GHz 32GB ECC RAM.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!