Opinions on setup I intend to do

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Opinions on setup I intend to do

Hi there.

This is the setup I intend to do:
      HPE ProLiant MicroServer Gen10
      AMD Opteron™ X3418 Processor (1.8-3.2GHz/4 compute cores/6 graphic cores/2MB
      16GB RAM
      Marvell 88SE9230 PCIe to SATA 6Gb/s Controller (embedded on board)

D1 - SDD 512GB M.2 NVMe on PCIe 3.0 for ProxMox OS running Virtual OMV OS with virtual disk + one more other OS with virtual disk
      D2 - HDD 480gb 2.5'' STATA III 7200 rpm for Irelevant, general purpose
      D3 - Two WD red (NAS) 3TB in RAID1 for passthrough to OMV RAID1 by OMV + NFS share by OMV to ProxMox and backup of D1, D2 and D4 + OMV services with personal data folders, public shares... etc
      D4 - internal USB 16GB for ProxMox, OVM and any other CFG backups

What do you think?

- Can this hardware handle easy ProxMox VE 6 and virtual OMV 5?
      - Can I do at least one more virtual machine besides OMV, like Oracle Linux with running 12c database for educational purposes only or / Linux Mint and docker-ed Oracle 12c DB?
      - Should I RIDE1 this D2 WD disk mules on OMV and share them as NFS to ProxMox, or RAID1 them in ProxMox and make virtual data storages for OMV on them?
      - ZFS or not, and on witch of these SDD, HDDs drive (for case of disaster and easar ability to read data from disks)?
      - and finaly - shuld I use ProxMox at all, or just go with OMV5 and new Docker-Cocpit for virtualization?

THX for any opinion and suggestion.
    • I've run proxmox on ssd on multiple systems for years. It shouldn't be any harder on an SSD than Debian or Ubuntu. I also run OMV on proxmox on multiple systems.
      omv 5.3.4 usul | 64 bit | 5.3 proxmox kernel | omvextrasorg 5.2.5
      omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please read this before posting a question and this and this for docker questions.
      Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!
    • I wanted a file server and docker host and VM host. Proxmox works well for me. I have multiple OMV VMs and one large Ubuntu VM that I use a docker host.
      omv 5.3.4 usul | 64 bit | 5.3 proxmox kernel | omvextrasorg 5.2.5
      omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please read this before posting a question and this and this for docker questions.
      Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!