Opinions on setup I intend to do

• Hi there.

This is the setup I intend to do:
    HPE ProLiant MicroServer Gen10
    AMD Opteron™ X3418 Processor (1.8-3.2GHz/4 compute cores/6 graphic cores/2MB
    16GB RAM
    Marvell 88SE9230 PCIe to SATA 6Gb/s Controller (embedded on board)

D1 - SDD 512GB M.2 NVMe on PCIe 3.0 for ProxMox OS running Virtual OMV OS with virtual disk + one more other OS with virtual disk
    D2 - HDD 480gb 2.5'' STATA III 7200 rpm for Irelevant, general purpose
    D3 - Two WD red (NAS) 3TB in RAID1 for passthrough to OMV RAID1 by OMV + NFS share by OMV to ProxMox and backup of D1, D2 and D4 + OMV services with personal data folders, public shares... etc
    D4 - internal USB 16GB for ProxMox, OVM and any other CFG backups

What do you think?

- Can this hardware handle easy ProxMox VE 6 and virtual OMV 5?
    - Can I do at least one more virtual machine besides OMV, like Oracle Linux with running 12c database for educational purposes only or / Linux Mint and docker-ed Oracle 12c DB?
    - Should I RIDE1 this D2 WD disk mules on OMV and share them as NFS to ProxMox, or RAID1 them in ProxMox and make virtual data storages for OMV on them?
    - ZFS or not, and on witch of these SDD, HDDs drive (for case of disaster and easar ability to read data from disks)?
    - and finaly - shuld I use ProxMox at all, or just go with OMV5 and new Docker-Cocpit for virtualization?

THX for any opinion and suggestion.

• I would run Proxmox on sata hdd or sas, never on ssd, write endurance of them is really low, so you'll fry them soon.
    I always run physically separate Proxmox and OMV, but there is now harm in combining them together,just keep backups.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I've run proxmox on ssd on multiple systems for years. It shouldn't be any harder on an SSD than Debian or Ubuntu. I also run OMV on proxmox on multiple systems.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• It's not clear to me what is the benefit of installing OMV as virtual inside ProxMox, unless the server is dedicated to virtualization. And it is not, it's a home NAS and DB server, so OMV and: doker DB + virtual LinuxMint shuld run better without ProxMox, right?

• Offizieller Beitrag

I wanted a file server and docker host and VM host. Proxmox works well for me. I have multiple OMV VMs and one large Ubuntu VM that I use a docker host.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!